Can WPI record what is clicked during previous installation and do it

I am really happy with WPI. I have tested it well. But can it record what is clicked and selected like yes or no or selecting a check box or not, etc during previous installation and do it automatically in the next installation? Or Should I always go through all the wizards by my self? If it can record and install automatically later on, what are the steps for this. If this feature is not available, it there a possibility that this feature will be added in the future? I would be glad if I get any replay.

Thank you very much in advance.

WPI can't do this, but AutoIT can. You can get it here: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml

There are several examples you can look at that are posted in the Application Installs forum here at the MSFN forums. It's stickied so it should be very easy to find. Also, the help file for AutoIT is extremely useful, and if it can't help you with what you need, there are many people at the AutoIT forums that would be more than willing to help.

Edited by chaoticyeshua

WPI can't do this, but AutoIT can. You can get it here: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml

There are several examples you can look at that are posted in the Application Installs forum here at the MSFN forums. It's stickied so it should be very easy to find. Also, the help file for AutoIT is extremely useful, and if it can't help you with what you need, there are many people at the AutoIT forums that would be more than willing to help.

Chaoticyeshua, thank you very much for the quick response. I will try AutoIt. And will get back and report. Thanks again.

I just tried autoIt and it was too complicated for me, as I am not an IT professional. I searched the web for many days but couldn't find the simplest non-interactive installer creator. Is there any other similar software which is good for dummies?

Regards,

OK we DO have switches for this kindof things, folks!

Simply make and save the different user-options and config files and then call them with the proper switches per user... (Switches noted in the manual.)

I went through the WPI site, but couldn't find any detail about this. Would you please give me an idea on switches. Do you mean WPI can record the actions taken during the first installation and do it automatically? How are these switches used?

Thanks!

Chapter 4 of the Manual:

Command line uses of WPI

WPI supports the use of command line entries for selection of Options, Config files and time for even further customization of your WPI disks or setups.

Example: WPI.hta options=useroptions_mritter.js config=config_mritter.js check=Work timer=30

If a path is not specified for the file, it will assume they are in the WPIScripts folder.
Paths can be full (starting with a drive letter) or relative to WPI.hta (starting with '.\' or '..\') and must end in '.js'.
Spaces are supported only is a path is provided and properly quoted: (config="c:\space in\file path.js")

WPI cannot "Remember" each users choices. You have to set up each different config per user then call with the switches.

I am having a hard time seing the reasoning for having WPI remember the last set of choices. We have the muti-defualts, unlimited switch possibilities and conditions that cover nearly every aspect of the PC.

I suppose it would be possible to make WPI remember like you want, but reallistically how many people need this?

Chapter 4 of the Manual:

Command line uses of WPI

WPI supports the use of command line entries for selection of Options, Config files and time for even further customization of your WPI disks or setups.

Example: WPI.hta options=useroptions_mritter.js config=config_mritter.js check=Work timer=30

If a path is not specified for the file, it will assume they are in the WPIScripts folder.
Paths can be full (starting with a drive letter) or relative to WPI.hta (starting with '.\' or '..\') and must end in '.js'.
Spaces are supported only is a path is provided and properly quoted: (config="c:\space in\file path.js")

WPI cannot "Remember" each users choices. You have to set up each different config per user then call with the switches.

I am having a hard time seing the reasoning for having WPI remember the last set of choices. We have the muti-defualts, unlimited switch possibilities and conditions that cover nearly every aspect of the PC.

I suppose it would be possible to make WPI remember like you want, but reallistically how many people need this?

Making WPI to configure a silent installer will save a lot of time. I am sure it will be a huge relieve the whole process of installing drivers and softwares. I like it now but it would be my favorite and for sure for many others if all the softwares are installed automatically without me sitting on the computers clicking "next", 'accept", entering key etc. Doing all this is time consuming still as you have to sit on your PC click on the buttons. For sure WPI is good software but it is not 100% automatic. And with this user friendliness, if it can create a silent installer, it will be award winning software.

Oh crap I get what you mean now..

You don't mean the choices of WPI itself you mean the apps added to it.

90-95% of all apps can be installed silently and registered silently using switches and answer files.

As for the rest there is a large database of premade auto-it files that only need a small tweak or two to suit your personal needs. (In the application installs setion)

We have done the best we can my adding USSF (Yes I KNOW it's not perfect) but trying to reinvent the macro\hotkey recorder is not something we are really interested in.

If you want to try auto-it again you really need the SCiTe for auto-it. It is a recorder script writer that makes things very easy. Add me to MSN if you wish I can help a bit with it. (Same address as my email in WPI)

Auto Hotkey is reported to be very easy to use to.

Oh crap I get what you mean now..

You don't mean the choices of WPI itself you mean the apps added to it.

90-95% of all apps can be installed silently and registered silently using switches and answer files.

As for the rest there is a large database of premade auto-it files that only need a small tweak or two to suit your personal needs. (In the application installs setion)

We have done the best we can my adding USSF (Yes I KNOW it's not perfect) but trying to reinvent the macro\hotkey recorder is not something we are really interested in.

If you want to try auto-it again you really need the SCiTe for auto-it. It is a recorder script writer that makes things very easy. Add me to MSN if you wish I can help a bit with it. (Same address as my email in WPI)

Auto Hotkey is reported to be very easy to use to.

Thank you very much, Kelsenellenelvian. I really appreciate your help. I will add you on my messenger (yahoo) and try autoit again.

Thanks!

I got one application which is very easy to use when compared to autoit. It is called robosetup. You can download the trial or the retail (19$ for personal use) from this site, www.robosetup.com . I tried to integrate WPI with robosetup but it didn't work as WPI file is hta file not exe file. Robosetup creates an autorun CD either on hard disk or CD. Everything, I agree, next, Accept, yes, etc, all are click by the application itself and it is so fast. You just need to click on autosetup then you can go for a tea and come back when all application installation is over. Give it a try and you will enjoy. I wish WPI could do that too.

Edited by wondim

I am now trying to use both WPI and robosetup to install many applications automatically without my interference. As I mentioned earlier, robosetup only work with exe files. So I am now trying to convert the WPI.hta file into WPI.exe file. I tried to convert with exescript, which say it can convert hta to exe, but I couldn't succeed. I would be glad if any member of the forum could help me in this regard.

• 1 year later...

I agree with Wondim, it would've been awesome having the WPI record every click you do, that would make my life perfect without exaggerating, then I don't have to type all those codes and scripts and other stuff that I don't really get.)) I have like hundred of programs that I would use it for, then the WPI could even sell!!! Heck I'd pay even 100$ to have that kind of program))))) :yes:

But... since it doesn't can I have some help too? I've downloaded Auto It and didn't really get how to use it just like Wondim. :wacko:

Dear Kelsenellenelvian, since I don't have a MSN, do you happen to have a Skype? or Oovoo? or even use Team Viewer to show me instead of typing and spending so much time on me))). :thumbup

P.S. I hope you'll help, cause I format 5-12 PCs a day... and having the WPI work the way I want it to WILL really make my life perfect)))lol))) :wub:

I agree with Wondim, it would've been awesome having the WPI record every click you do, that would make my life perfect without exaggerating, then I don't have to type all those codes and scripts and other stuff that I don't really get.)) I have like hundred of programs that I would use it for, then the WPI could even sell!!! Heck I'd pay even 100$ to have that kind of program))))) :yes:

But... since it doesn't can I have some help too? I've downloaded Auto It and didn't really get how to use it just like Wondim. :wacko:

Dear Kelsenellenelvian, since I don't have a MSN, do you happen to have a Skype? or Oovoo? or even use Team Viewer to show me instead of typing and spending so much time on me))). :thumbup

P.S. I hope you'll help, cause I format 5-12 PCs a day... and having the WPI work the way I want it to WILL really make my life perfect)))lol))) :wub:

I found another application called Robosetup, but it also works but makes errors and it doesn't accept some installers. The best solution is this. If you also want for XP, an application called ShadowProtect can do it for you. One image for all PCs. This one below is for Windows 7 and vista.

Cheers!

Edited by wondim

@ revalution = My knowledge of auto-it is very limited. I have only made a handfull of scripts using it. (LOTS of failures it that too) My suggestion is to get scite for auto-it and use the recorder feature from it. That is th eeasiest way I know of to use Auto-it.