How to Use nLite 1.4

scott30ny

I'm a newbie at tweaking my computer. A friend told me about this program "nLite 1.4", its supposed to

"streamline" Windows XP and make it more simple. Does anyone have experience with this program?

I'm wondering if someone can guide me thru or give me some tips. Is this program is too complicated

is there anything else like this out there or other tips ?

Thanks !!

I'm a newbie at tweaking my computer. A friend told me about this program "nLite 1.4", its supposed to

"streamline" Windows XP and make it more simple. Does anyone have experience with this program?

I'm wondering if someone can guide me thru or give me some tips. Is this program is too complicated

Thanks !!

There's nothing else like nLite, or as good as nLite, at least. It allows you to remove components that you think are unnecessary.

For example, I remove all the languages as I only use English. I also remove certain drivers, tabletpc components, dvd maker, etc.

It pretty simple actually. It walks you through it. It also tells you what you shouldn't remove if you want certain features. Just give it a try and play around with it in Virtual PC.

MSFN here has a section on nLite. Have you checked it out?

Thanks !!

You should try the actuall nlite secton on this forum Nlite section

and here for help Nlite guide

This post will no doubt get moved, but saw it and wanted to chime in.

No, there is no other software like it for XP, but one problem a lot of new users get caught up in is removing too much. Be sure to read the "What not to remove" thread before diving in. Rip out Outlook Express, for example, and regular Outlook from MS Office won't install (as one example). There is a way to fix this -- I wrote the file -- but there are lots and lots of other little traps that you need to read up on.

I have to add, once you've spent a lot of time learning about nLite, you'll gain a little time each time you'll reinstall your computer. This is not "tweaking" your computer. See, nLite was originally (I wasn't there, I must admit) designed to cut down on the place XP takes on a hard disk. this was interresting for HDD under 4Gig that we had back in 98 or so. This was a bit of tweaking but is far less interresting today when any HDD is bigger than 20Gig. The problem is that a lot of removed components can not be readded (or some can but not easily). 2nd use of nLite is to put the tweaks in the install cd. But those tweaks could be performed after install as well. 3rd use is to integrate drivers so that you don't have to install them after install, idem with Service pack or MS updates. This is still not "tweaking your computer". An other point is to integrate mass storage drivers for Harddisks that are not recognised by original versions of XP, so you don't have to use F6 and a floppy drive when installing Windows. As you see, this is still not tweaking your computer but nLite is interresting if you reinstall you computer quite often (unattended install can take less than 15minutes). Cheers.