XPize doesn't actually do much

zZolaa

Hello,

I think I must be making some mistake here, because XPize really doesn't do much besides install a theme and some addons and update a few wizards I don't even have installed on my nLite.

The main stuff, which I *actually see regularly* wasn't modified at all.

For example, all the icons. I thought that XPize was going to give me a totally fresh and updated-for-consistency set of shell32 icons, but when I look at shell32.dll everything is just like it was, Windows95-era icons...

look:

oldass1.png

And furthermore,

There's supposed to be a C:\Windows\Resources\shell32 folder with a bunch of icons in it...

And I don't have that. I've seen screenshots of it.

All I have is a couple icons I checked in the installer...

noicons1.png

Please help.

Does XPize not even actually update shell icons?

Edited by zZolaa

• 2 weeks later...

This looks unusual.

Are you running the 32-bit version of Windows XP and did you reboot after installation? Also try deleting your IconCache.db file under %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data and see if that has an effect.

W3bbo,

I've tried it on my desktop, I've tried it on my laptop, and I've tried it on a VMWare install which is a fresh brand new MSDN copy of XP SP3 with nothing modified.

Even on the fresh MSDN Copy of XP SP3, no icons are changed.

I sent this XPize to my friend and he also didn't get any updated shell32 icons.

It is my belief that XPize doesn't actually update those icons in the first place.

Can you please post me a screenshot of the same icon dialog box I showed in my screenshot, so I can see what it looks like for you?

I would be shocked to see if it was actually working for you, because really I think XPize doesn't even *provide* those updated icons in the first place.

I see you're using the "F1" version. I've updated the download link to use the F2 version (it's a megabyte bigger with some minor changes). Give that a try.

Ok, I tried F2 on a new nLite install.

Didn't change anything.

Again, the SHELL32.DLL icons are not new, half of them are Win95 icons.

The only thing "new" this time is that a few of the icons are empty/missing and appear as white.

Ok, I tried F2 on a new nLite install.

Didn't change anything.

Again, the SHELL32.DLL icons are not new, half of them are Win95 icons.

The only thing "new" this time is that a few of the icons are empty/missing and appear as white.

Give xpize 5 a try, I'll be surprised if nothing happens.