Problem with CD Drive in 98 SE

UltraO

Hello :hello: , I am new here on these forums but I have a problem, a big problem that is very ANNOYING :realmad:

The thing is that, it won't show up the cd drive as like E:/ or F:/ w/e, but it can read from it, but I can't acces the files. This is really annoying as I need drivers for for the network, graphics etc. The computer was originally installed with XP, but I like to mod so I went to Windows 98 which I wanted to make better so, it doesn't have support for disks :unsure:. And that's like the only way I know how to enable the CD Drive for the computer(by creating a start disk) :realmad: I believe that the diskett driver(the driver A:/ is shown as a diskett driver thingy inputer). HOW AM I ABLE TO FIX THIS PAIN IN THE a** PROBLEM?? :realmad: How can I fix this? I believe that this problem might be cause by that A: is using diskett reading drivers or something similar, which f-word |opposite to down| the CD reading capabilites.

KTHX in advance :hello:

Edited by UltraO

You could temporarily add the appropriate lines into the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS until you get the Chipset Drivers installed... this may be the reason not showing up. Your first mistake was installing Win98 before "collecting" the appropriate drivers. Heck, you started ranting and didn't even tell what kind of PC, what Chipset, wht type of CD-Rom. Hard to help with so much info lacking....

CONFIG.SYS -

device=C:\WINDWS\COMMAND\EBD\oakcdrom.sys /D:MYCD001

lastdrive=z

AUTOEXEC.BAT -

LH C:WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MYCD001 /L:Z

With above, CD-ROM should show up as Z-drive.

Edited by submix8c

Sorry I didn't put more info, I thought it was unnecessary :unsure:

Anyways it didn't work because I don't have a ebd folder in command, and I searched for "ebd" and found "ebd.cab" in the My Documents folder, but it didn't contain the oakcdrom.sys.

Is it possible to like expand it from the cd from ms-dos prompt?

Hardware+PC info;

HP Compaq nx8220

CD Drive:Matsh ita UJ762 or something VERY similar.(it got censorated for being named shi ta)

Chipset: Intel 915 GM(not sure about those last letters, but I remember that it had a G in the end so)

And you said that I didn't collect the appropiate drivers, I did but how the hell am I supposed to install them when there's no way to communicate with that PC?

Ok, all I need to make the cd-drive to work is the oakcdrom.sys, but I don't know how to get it :unsure: . It must be on the Windows 98 CD as otherwise it wouldn't be able to install, right? So I just wonder WHERE on the cd is the oakcdrom.sys? :}