scsi/sata/massstorage to XP SP3

Fredrik

I’ve been reading for a few hours now and I realized I can’t see the forest for the trees :P there are so many ways to do things, some complicated and some seems to be “easy”. Help me out picking a tool and a way to go. I want a simple way to add massstorage drivers to my XP SP3.

What I have and what I do. I use VMware workstation to do an unattended installation of Windows, this works great and XP already have the drivers needed to run. I then sysprep the image, shutdown and capture it back to my fileserver as a wim file. I can then apply this image to my vmware workstation and some other hardware, but scsi/sata drivers are driving me insane.

How I want it to work? Do an unattended installation of XP SP3 to my vmware workstation, during the unattended I use [GuiRunOnce] to run some scripts and finally sysprep it. Just before I sysprep it I want to run a script that install sata/scsi drivers to the XP SP3 installation so that I can use it on computers that have sata/scsi device. Sounds simple huh? Well it’s driving me insane…

I have a similar WIM image that works on all of my home and work desktops and laptops, despite of different IDE/SATA/RAID controllers. I call it 1WIM4ALL. :)

It's actually quite simple:

1) Run Sysprep with the following command-line parameter:

Sysprep -bsmd

2) Download and run RAID Slipstreamer with the following command-line:

RSLIP54.EXE /install /source %SystemDrive%\Sysprep /mode Sysprep /OS XP /NoGUI

where:

- %SystemDrive%\Sysprep is where the required Sysprep directory resides in.

- /OS XP is to tell RAID Slipstreamer to install XP drivers only

- /NoGUI is to run RAID Slipstreamer in silent non-interactive mode

3) Finally, run Sysprep with the following command-line parameters:

Sysprep -reseal -mini -pnp -quiet -noreboot

When complete (it could take some time, especially in VMware), shutdown and create your WIM image or clone using Norton Ghost. That's all.

Cheers,

Warning: I hope you are aware of the APIC HAL issues when deploying images to different processor types and ways to workaround it. :)

Edited by iTwins

Thank you iTwins! I’m so happy to read that someone has figured this stuff out : )

Just to make sure that I get this right.

Note:remember, there are no stupid questions – only stupid people :lol:

I do my unattended just like I do now.

I add Sysprep –bsmd command to my [GuiRunOnce] script, will this cause a reboot?

I run the RSLIP54.EXE command also in [GuiRunOnce] script, will this cause a reboot?

I then run the Sysprep -reseal -mini -pnp -quiet –noreboot, this will cause it to shutdown and after that I do my capture, right?

I read some about RAID Slipstreamer, but where do I put my sata/scsi drivers?

APIC issues? Ehh… what? (see note about me above above)

Ok, this is what I do:

1) Install Windows XP like a normal person does, regardless whether it's interactive or unattended.

2) After WinXP is installed, configure WinXP and then install all necessary MS or 3rd party applications, including service packs and hotfixes

3) Copy the required Sysprep directory to C:\Sysprep

4) Within C:\Sysprep is a Sysprep.inf. This is all you need in the INF file. Sysprep and RAID Slipstreamer will fill in the rest.

[Unattended]
InstallFilesPath=C:\Sysprep\i386
OemSkipEula=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
OEMPnPDriversPath=Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Misc;Drivers\NIC;Drivers\RAID;Drivers\System;Drivers\Video;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\PCMCIA;

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1,7,8,10,11,9,13,14

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome=1
EncryptedAdminPassword = No

[Identification]

[GuiUnattended]
TimeZone=210

[RegionalSettings]
Language=409

[UserData]
ProductID="ABCDE-12345-FGHIJ-67890-KLMNO"
FullName = "Your Name"
OrgName = "Your Company Name"
Password = "Passw0rd"
ComputerName= "Computer Name"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1027
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=75

[SysPrep]
BuildMassStorageSection=yes

[SysprepMassStorage]

5) In WinXP, open a command prompt and run "Sysprep -bsmd"

6) Then run "RSLIP54.EXE /install /source %SystemDrive%\Sysprep /mode Sysprep /OS XP /NoGUI"

7) Run Sysprep -reseal -mini -pnp -quiet -noreboot

8) Verify the WinXP configurations and applications are in place before [manually] shutting down

9) After shutdown, boot to Vista PE and proceed to create the WIM image

When you have your WIM image, it is ready to deploy to other systems.

Regarding the APIC HAL issue, if the image was created on a multi-processor CPU for example and the image is to deploy to another system with the same processor type, then no changes required. If however you are deploying to a single-processor CPU, then you may need to add the required parameter into the Sysprep.inf (sorry, I forget what to add. You may have to research yourself). Personally, I created a customized Vista PE that detects the CPU type and then automatically apply the correct HAL and Kernel files after the image has been restored. Actually, it's not really that simple if you are to support multi-core CPUs, single-core CPUs, and legacy and virtual CPUs (including Microsoft Virtual PC 2004/2007)

Edited by iTwins

• 11 months later...

Excellent guide, but this is not enough

because the OEMPnPDriversPath only can have 4k

you need to add all drivers path in he registry "devicepath" section

The massstorage pack from driverpacks.net as lots of them, but its not easy to make it work with sysprep.

There are lots of version of how to, but none working 100%

cumps

Guimenez

• 1 month later...

Where can I download the RSLIP54.EXE from? Thanks.

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842

:)

Just for the record, something that may be of use is the Offline SysPrep:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=43

which includes a Mass Storage DriverInjector:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22523

jaclaz