nLite GUI installation skin?

sidefx88

The fact is that I hate the look of the regular XP installation.

Browsing the internet I found some nLited Windows distributions which has skins on its installation GUI.

For example:

UEBJ.jpg

How can I do something like this?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

sidefx88, if by skins you mean themes, then you can include them in the Unattended page, Desktop Themes tab. Please read the help (lower right ? in circle) for more information. Enjoy, John.

sidefx88, please look at the Unattended page as I suggested. NLite calls them Desktop Themes. They will change how all windows appear in your installation. If you right click on your desktop (please try it now), and click Properties. The left most tab says Themes, and this is what nLite calls Desktop Themes. They are not just Desktop Wallpaper, which may be included with a theme. Enjoy, John.

oh, i figuerd out!

you mean unattended 'page' (in nLite!) and I understood a web 'page': http://unattended.msfn.org/

Sorry!

John, i've set a desktop theme totally different to the one included in XP.

I install my nLited Windows and works perfect! This new desktop theme shows up as default :)

But... during the GUI installation process I see the classic skin or theme :(

sidefx88, I am in the middle of a nLite run, so I can't look to find the exact area to point you to, but at the bottom of the Options page of nLite are a couple of options that allow you to select Classic Setup and Black Setup Background. As fas as I know, this is all you can change with nLite. I have not looked into trying to apply private themes to the installation (setup) phase. If you have a link to a method, I will take a look. Enjoy, John.

sidefx88, I just found a site that discusses altering WINNTBBU.DLL, here. Now that I understand what you are talking about, it looks cool and I'll take a look. I have a good Resource Editor on my VM, so I'll try looking at the .DLL and see what I can learn. I'll let you know. I am trying to go to the German site and it is not responding. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I took at quick look at the DLL and found all the bitmaps and strings the link referred to. It does not look like it will be too hard to alter it. I must quit now - it is almost 9:00 PM here and I have not even finished my newspaper. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

sidefx88, this does not look to bad, but I cannot find any images I like. Where did you find the one you posted? Do you have the original image, not just a screen shot? I still can't get the German site to open. Can you? Enjoy, John.

Hi John!

Yes, the german site is working (at least here)

The direct link for the "WINNTBBU.DLL Mega Pack" is http://www.downloads.german-nlite.org/user...a-AddonPack.rar

I've just downloaded, but all the text, messages and warnings are in german!

The picture that I've posted above is from this modified version WINNTBBU.DLL (direct link):

http://www.hardside.com.ar/files/winntbbu.dll.rar (i've just uploaded/hosted for you)

In the RAR file I've included WINNTBBU.DLL and WINNTBBU.DL_ (cab compressed, just in case)

This one is in spanish (just what I needed, but maybe I will change some texts/messages)

It is possible to modifiy the content of this DLL using Resourse Hacker or some other tool to extract and repack system files.

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Good luck!

Edited by sidefx88

sidefx88, wow, thanks a lot! I can't use these directly, since they are all 32 bit and I am running XP x64, but I should be able to get the images and use them. I use CFF Explorer from Explorer Suite for my resource editor, since it supports 64 bit and Resource Hacker does not. At one time I played with the background color but I cannot remember how or what file I modified to do it. Are you aware of the file for the background color during install? Enjoy and thanks, John.

sidefx88, Gui part. I did see something via Google when I was searching for the skins about text mode background. I, at one time, looked to see if I could get rid of the F6 prompt since most don't use it (and can't). A poster asked the question. When I install under VMware Server, most of my screen is black (nLite's Options). I would like to change that. Thanks, John.