Master Image for several machine types

I'm thinking this is a good place to post this, hopefully.

I've been working on getting one master image that I can use across many machine types, all Dell desktops, and I've been pretty successful so far thanks in large part to this site.

I've just encountered a new situation that I'm not sure how to handle. I created this master image on one particular machine, have all the drivers I need for the other machines, and the correct entries in my [sysprep] BuildMassStorageSection=yes and [sysprepMassStorage] sections (also I've dropped using -bmsd as it appears you don't need to run it if these sections are populated correctly)

When I sysprep this master machine and shut it down I capture the image, and I can deploy it to all my workstations without issue. Actually I'm using the runonceex key, and I have my drivers for each machine packaged in executables, the setup autodetects the model type and installs the correct drivers. It's actually great to watch, looks very professional. As long as I take that sysprepped image out in the field I'm set. I do have a copy of the very same image that's not sysprepped, just in case.

Here's the problem I just ran into. I traveled to a new site, they have specialized applications. If i deploy the sysprepped image I'd have to run through setup, the drivers would install and I'd end up with a "final" machine...now yes I could install what I wanted, resysrep it and as long as they are all that same machine type I'd be set.

But I'm thinking there's something I can do with that plain vanilla PRE sysprepped copy...Any thoughts?

My thought was to put it on a machine, install what I needed, sysprep it and off I go. But it blue screens as it's not the same type of machine that master was built on. It's almost as if I need a NON sysprepped image that has sort of a BuildMassStorageSection=yes property to it...if that makes sense.

Thanks for any and all thoughts :-)