Help me get a dial-up modem installed in Win98

E-66

Just a thought...

Have you tried installing the hardware, booting, cancelling the Add New Hardware, THEN running the install? One might assume that the Installer might "find" it then correctly install.

OR you might let the Add New Hardware Wizard install it as Unknown Device and the run the Installer (sometimes it works that way too).

HTH

edit - and it appears that its a Data/Fax/Voice/Speakerphone, so an additional Sound device will/should be added for the Voice/Speakerphone features. And true, it's a SoftModem, so it will create a "virtual" COM port (not to be confused with BIOS COM). Also, check for conflicting IRQ's, etc. (with other devices).

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the additional efforts, but I've basically given up with it - no matter what I try I can't get a driver installed. I looked through my box o' hardware junk and found a 56k modem I used to use and it installed without problems, so I'm at a loss to explain why I had so many problems with the other modem. My mother is going to take it and the driver CD back to the shop and see if they can do anything with it with one of the PCs there. In the mean time she's back up and running so I guess that's the important thing.