Personal settings

mn2az87

I've thought about trying to create my own unattended install just to try something different but over the years of having to reinstall windows and my programs has gotten old. A few years ago I found Wesmosis and thought that it was cool and really liked the idea of WPI. I looked at it a little bit but haven't really had the time to just play with all of this.

What has really gotten the wheels spinning upstairs is my dislike for the time it takes to redo it all. My biggest question about doing this is "just how personal can you get by doing this". By creating your own install disk you can pretty much copy the way that you have your system up. I've looked at a lot of the unattended install disks but they seem to have been created for the masses. I've read thru a few different things but have found much about personal settings. Are you able to get as personal as small icons-no text, view as list in windows, configure a program to save your files to specific places and those little things that you just have to have your way.

mn2az87, I think you really need to install nLite and play with it to get a feel of what it can do. Yes, there are many very personal tweaks available but no modifications for any programs you install. You will need to do this yourself. I suggest you read all the guides on the nLite site and spend some time looking through posts on this forum. If you have specific questions, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Well anything has to be better than one at a time so I'll have to take a few runs at this and see if I can't get as close as I can to what I really want. Now for the other programs that I want to include, do I have to use WPI or (if I understood you correctly) can I do everything I need to using nlite? And let me see if i got this correct, after I've completed everything I can test it using VMware instead of actually having to install it to pc, but the only problem that using a VM will cause is a that it doesn't actually install the hardware drivers (so you don't know if that part of it is correct). Other then that I can work out any issues before doing the real thing if all goes correctly.

mn2az87, VMware or another virtual system is almost a requirement for testing, but you are correct, drivers are not tested. Believe me, there are plenty of things to test before you start making coasters. I think you misunderstood me. NLite will not install programs for you or tweak them. In a sense it can install programs if you are someone has created an AddOn for it. See the forum on AddOns above and the RyanVM forum. You can also install programs out of the RunOnce exit in the Unattended section of nLite. Please see this great tutorial on doing this. It is for XP x64, but will work for you. WPI is the other option. It is easy to use. I use both Kurt_Aust's method to install lots of things (VMwaretools, VMware Sound driver, etc...) and WPI for others. This stuff is fun to experiment with, so I encourage to do just that. Enjoy, John.

Good morning John, my name is TJ and thanx for all the help you've been. I took a look at that tutorial that you posted and WOW OVERLOAD (only cuz just starting w/this but its all part of it that has to be learned). It seems to be a lot to do for a first attempt at this, but it looks like there is a link to every file that is needed. I know the only way to conquer this beast is to just dive in so let me ask you this, I get a quicker grip on how things work when someone is there to walk me thru each step. So with that said what is the simplest and quickest thing that can basically hold my hand thru each step and create something that works. Things will make more sense once I see just the basic steps taken. To be honest I'm overhelmed with it all right now so the simplest thing you can suggest that you know will work would be a great help. THANX TJ.

Let me ask this with using nlite I can remove some of the programs that aren't really needed or used and by doing that it will decrease the amount of time it takes for XP to install overall (which is one of my interests). This would be a start at seeing what the words in my head and an actual project coming to life. Also would I be able to add the programs to that saved project as I digg deeper into how this all works.

mn2az87, there are some step by step procedures in this forum - search for them. I would suggest starting very slowly. Copy your source CD to a folder. If your source does not contain SP3, then go to MS DL Center and get it. Open nLite, point it to your source folder, then select only Service Pack, Unattended and Bootable CD. Follow the instructions for the SP, then look around the Unattended section and include a user account and password and input the CD key; Selected Fully Automatic and when in the Bootable CD section, select Create ISO. In VMware, open your BIOS and specify boot from CD, define the ISO file as your CD, bring up VMware ad have fun. Enjoy, John.

Will I be able to add/remove things from this at a later time or will I have to go thru this process again for the next project? I know the best answer to this question but if it causes any problems if you do.... Do I do this as the only thing running (like burning DVDs) or can I have a few things going at the same time ( I have some downloads that I'm trying to complete). Thanx again for all your help. TJ

mn2az87, you will have your Last Session.ini files from past runs of nLite. They are in the C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets folder with a date code. You can always use these. You should always start with a fresh source for every nLite run, but using the proper Last Session (Preset) you will be able to add/remove/change to your heart's content from some prior run. I run nLite with everything under the sun running - VMware Server, IE, Thunderbird, DLs, etc (you get the idea). I don't burn a disk very often anymore, but I do other things while I am (using nLite or Nero). Give it a try! Have fun, John.

Thanx again so very much for your time and help with getting me started with this. I will give you a break and get some rest cuz I'll be back with more questions after I give this a try. Thanx again and have a good night TJ.

Ok on my first try all the more I did was alter XPs install, well I didn't put a workgroup name in it so I had enter that other then that it installed al by itself. There are some things I don't like about how it ended up but I can keep trying to til its gets there then start to work on how to add the apps that I want installed automatically. Is there a detailed list of what it is and does about the things that can be selected?

Things I selected not to install were

Fast User Switching

Media Center (still installed win media player)?

Remote Desktop (still installed something to with with remote ?(didn't catch what it was))?

Tablet PC

Also no theme installed

Couple of things in question with are camera & camcorders (I do have one but can remove card just as easy), anything from IIS, does NT backup/vol shadow copy mess with system restore, anything in prefetch function and printers. Now I do have my printer to do want to install but don't need any of the network sharing type stuff.

After all is said and done I'm happy that it was successful my first try and with a little more understanding each option I should be able to get close to what I want (oh ya I cut the disk down 402 mb)