isass.exe - System Error

k64

I've tried running a fresh WinXP install from nLite SP3 disk both in VirtualPC and on a real spare partition with (almost) identical errors during the first automatic reboot after copying files:

Real partition:

After the Setup restarting message, a window appears (very briefly) as follows:

isass.exe - System Error

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API

then the system reboots again, continually.

VirtualPC:

Exactly the same result as above, but without the error message.

The disk partition is 5GB, and 4GB is available to VirtualPC. Is this too small? I thought XP's minimum requirement was 1.5GB.

[Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, 1.5GB memory, 80GB disk, Windows XP Pro SP3]

k64, I think 4GB should be enough disk space. I have installed XP x64 under VMware Server with 4GB. How large is your ISO? Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

k64, it looks like you have included hot fixes for IE7 and WMP11 but neither are installed. If this is true, no telling what kind of mess this will cause. Neither are included in SP3. BTW, I assume you are not really running SP3 RC1 as you stated in another thread. Please post the size (not size on disk) and MD5 for the SP3 you are using. To see if you can get a running system, please remove all hot fixes and (using a fresh source) make and install an ISO on your virtual system and let us known what happens. Enjoy, John.

MD5 is a "hashing algorithm" that can verify the "checksum" of a file, i.e. it's integrity, against a known one, useful to prevent problems caused by data corruption for any reason, or, if you prefer, a way to make sure that two files are identical.

Here is an easy tool:

http://nunobrito.eu/download.php?view.4

More:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2532

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

...To see if you can get a running system, please remove all hot fixes and (using a fresh source) make and install an ISO on your virtual system and let us known what happens. Enjoy, John.

Thanks, John, I did exactly as you suggested and now I have XP SP3 running in Virtual PC.

My next aim is to integrate IE7.

k64, the size and MD5 check out, thanks. Be sure to place IE7 and WMP11 first in your hot fix list, then the updates in the correct order. I have not used them, but RyanVM's site has update packs that contain all post SP3 updates. There are also lists of the updates, so you can see the order required. Enjoy, John.