Soooooooo Slow

shof515

My System Specs:

http://shof515.com/mycomputer.txt

Why is Windows 7 so slow on that computer? I have it installed on a partition, in which the installer took close to about 2 hours to finish up. After that, it takes about 5-10mis to go from bios post to the desktop. Another 4-5 mins to open up any kind of applications or the start menu. Whenever i click on something, weather it is the desktop icon or the start glob, the cursor changes to the busy icon

Whats strange, is when i boot onto the partition into Vista my computer flies with no issues or any kinda of lags like what i see in 7. Another odd thing, on that vista partition is vmware. Using vmware, i virtually installed 7 and had no installer or useage problems like what i am noticing on the main 7 partition.

windows 7 x64 build 7057

Are you seeing the same problems with the official 7000 build? If it works in vmware on generic hardware, but not yours, I'd fall back to a driver problem, but it's hard to say. I've seen lots of problems with 7048 performance "fixed" by using build 7000, which means filing a bug on the build you have (if this works on build 7000 properly) would be the next course of action, as there's a driver bug somewhere, likely in the disk subsystem.

is there any way to remove the built in 7 drivers, like can i use vlite and see if the bundle drivers in 7 is causing an issue?

if you removed the bundled drivers windows update would just pull them down again, alos what other drivers would you use? vista drivers for low level devices (ie disk, ICHR etc ) are not going to work on 7. i would try cluberti's advice and try with the beta 7000 build and see if you run into the same issues.

Also something to try, give build 7057 a shot as well. I found out the hard way with my benchmarking machine, that you can't use most of the vista 64-bit drivers. Many many problems. Anyway, the Windows 7 drivers work pretty darn well as is. COD 4 works like a champ with Windows 7, on stock drivers.

May wanna try a clean install too. Wow, I'm gonna stop talking now....