Windows NT Autoupdate for Word

henderson2k

Hi,

A few years ago my work used Microsoft Office on Windows NT systems.

I am trying to find out if Microsoft Office (i.e. Word) has an Autoupdate function which would attempt to access the Internet to check for any updates.

I would also be interested to know that if by using the Help function within Office applications, an attempt may be made to check the Internet also.

Andrew

Yes, Office 2007 can update itself automatically with latest updates. I do believe it's not related to the OS so it will do it for any OS.

Unsure about previous versions of Office.

And yes, you can enable online search for help.

Other versions you must go to Office-dot-Microsoft-dot-Com and get the updates kind of like manually going to MS-Update to manually get your updates (scan/download/install). Requires getting the ActiveX installed (OGA or Office Genuine Advantage). There's no Auto-Update.

@ spacesurfer and submix8c

Many thanks for the response.

Your comments back up my view. I also found the following KB article [ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163299#top ] which describes the AutoUpdate feature relating to WebAuthoring tools within Word97.

The reason for asking this question: I have a dispute over a technical log printout which shows -attempted- accesses to the Internet.

I didn't have access during the period in question; however the computer log shows, amongst other things, AutoUpdate entries from Word attempting to access the Internet, which the other party believe is proof I had Internet access.

I am trying to find evidence to back up the argument, that attempts to access the Internet are made by computer software (such as Word97...) regardless of whither a user has access to the Internet or not.

I am still a bit unsure if the help function within the Office97 suite would also attempt to access the Internet for additional information. I suspect it may and report a 404 error, within the help window, when no page could be found but I am unsure how to prove this?

I welcome any thoughts and views and more so if you can provide links/evidence in support.

Andrew