xp install error

WarnockG90

I have a 64-bit system running Vista Ultimate with a RAID 0 setup.

I also have an ASUS Striker motherboard.

I am trying to dual boot the system and install XP to allow me to use some hardware which isnt at present supported by Vista.

I have created a new partition and a bootable ISO image of XP Pro which includes my RAID controller drivers.

When I load the installer it finds my hard drives ok (so I presume the driver integration worked successfully) but after I choose the new partition to install it too, it says it cannot read installation files of the CD.

Is there any reason for this?

I was wondering if it could be due to Vista being the first installed OS or if my partitioning software had stopped it somehow?

Is there any known issues and fixes within nLite for this?

Geoff

I am booting from the created XP install CD when the computer first starts up.

Also concerning my CD drive, it is connected via IDE cable.

Only my two hard drives in the RAID 0 configuration are connected via SATA.

Cheers,

Geoff

WarnockG90, we need more information, so please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. If you are running nLite under your Vista system, please search these forums for others who have tried this. It may not work, particularly slipstreaming an SP. You might try an ISO with noting but the source CD file/folders. This will give you a good base. Also, please consider a virtual system such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free. Enjoy, John.

Perhaps there is an error in your txtsetup.sif. It would give same error as if it has a problem reading a file from the disc (or any other install source).

First write down which file is given as "cannot be read" error (1 is enough).

Then check your boot related txtsetup, that file is probably listed in it.

And then check ih that files exists in your setup source (i386 dir of your installation).

You should always use txtsetup.sif from your i386 dir, since it is the one modified by nlite.

WarnockG90, we need more information, so please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini.

I have attached my Last Session.ini

If you are running nLite under your Vista system, please search these forums for others who have tried this. It may not work, particularly slipstreaming an SP.

I have also tried creating a similar disk on my laptop which runs windows XP but get the same errors.

And I also tried using Virtual PC but I cant get it to work due to the lack of USB support for the device I want to use.

Cheers

Last_Session.ini

WarnockG90, I have not done a dual boot install, so am very unknowledgeable here. I do see you have two sets of text mode drivers, Silicon Image and nVidia. Your RAID pair (for install) is connected to just one of these. Remove the drivers that your RAID is not connected to and see if this helps. Please let us know the results. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dual boot of XPSP3 x32 and VistaSP1 x64 on RAID0 (ASUS P5B-deluxe, and MSI P35 platinum) before finally migrating to only Vista.

I had no issue installing it. Just first install Vista, then XP, Vista will recognise older OS and will ammend boot.ini accordingly. Vice versa, and you might have problems, so they say on the internet anyways, so Vista first to be sure.

Be sure to use 2 partitions, to avoid folders being crosslinked and used by both OS.

So focus your attention on install media, i think there is the problem. Also try installing from non-nlited disc via F6 method or put SATA controller in IDE mode as opposed to native, just to see if it installs properly (u can allways delete OS and start again in native mode).

Just first install Vista, then XP, Vista will recognise older OS and will ammend boot.ini accordingly. Vice versa, and you might have problems, so they say on the internet anyways, so Vista first to be sure.

I don`t agree with that. Like older windows-versions, it`s always the best way to install the older version first.

So you install first XP, then VISTA. VISTA will regognize that there`s XP preinstalled and adds it to its bootloader.

If you first install VISTA, then XP, the bootloader of VISTA is gone. That`s not really too bad - you can rebuild

it by using EasyBCD. But the better way is: First older OS, then the newer.

EasyBCD: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Edited by g-force