Vista/Xp

bookie32

Hi guys,

I have been trying to share files from Vista to XP and vice versa. I know you have the normal share folders on the c drive and they work fine but I can't seem to create share folder/partition on another drive.

I have Vista as my media center and would like to transfer directly from XP to that drive instead of going via the public folder all the time.

I have tried to share the partition on Vista and the icon comes up on XP but I can't access it?! I have looked at access rights and have made changes but none seem to help?

Can anyone give me a little "how to" on how I can share other folders/partitons giving access rights etc?

I would appreciate any help I can get on this problem.

Thanks

bookie32

Hi Andromeda43 :thumbup

Feeling a bit of a plonka at the moment. Been googling my arse off and was reading a little how to where they mentioned that when you have made your changes like security access rights etc...they can take up to about 15 minutes to register on XP.

Even if you run update it doesn't help. BUT.....LOL sure enough after about 15 minutes I could get access from XP to Vista.

So, I guess patience is a virtue....LOL

Thanks for dropping by though :hello:

bookie32

Been googling my arse off and was reading a little how to where they mentioned that when you have made your changes like security access rights etc...they can take up to about 15 minutes to register on XP.

I've never heard that. That sounds far-fetched. I've never had to wait 15 mins!

Can you provide the link to where you saw that?

I think he's thinking about group policy changes background, as the default refresh interval is 15 minutes. Anything done locally is either immediate, or will take effect the next time group policy is refreshed (a gpupdate /force may be required, which may in turn require a reboot if any changes applied are system-level).