Where has my LAN icon gone?

MillenX

I believe that some changes made to these registries have been the culprit.

Can someone who has the LAN icon kindly export the keys below and post it to me? This could be a great help!

For those who wanna help but not familiar with regedit,

click the Start button, then 'Run', type 'regedit', then navigate to the path, right-click on the key and 'export' (XP).

click the Vista Orb, in the search bar type regedit, then navigate to the path, right-click on the key and 'export' (Vista).

This could be a great help! Thanks!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage]

Edited by MillenX

Have you loaded the SYSTEM.SAV Registry Hive to see if you have a backup of the keys you are missing?

How to load?

Open Regedit. Then click the [+] next to HKLM. And then highlight HKLM. Click File, and Load Hive. You get to name it, I always give it a name with an underscore, like TEST_SYSTEM or something. Something that stands out. So you navigate to where the registry is kept,

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

And your regular registry files are here, they have no file extension, and then old copies are here as well, the have the extension .SAV. So you would choose SYSTEM.SAV, which is the backup of the SYSTEM tree. The other files here you can see have similar names for the other branches of HKLM. This is also where you go if you use the Recovery console to edit the registry offline.

Now, your SYSTEM.SAV might not be very large depending on various settings for Windows that prompts it to make backup copies. For example if you didn't make a Last Known Good config.

After you are done looking through the Hive, you highlight it on the left side, and then File, Unload Hive. Don't forget to do this part!

As with any other time using regedit, all changes are made automatically, there is no save or undo. Back up anything first if you are concerned about working in there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759303.aspx

I've formatted and using Vista (this problem could rise in Vista too :> ) Thank you anyway Tripredacus

I'll try it when encountering the same problem.

你需要把Windows自带的防火墙关闭,并且尝试修复一下网络。祝您好运!

这个问题看来根本不关系到防火墙嘛... 无论如何谢啦!

还有, 我是马来西亚华裔... hehe