Why does my tutor have winxp and still have admin rights over all pcs

rv31

So there are about 8 pcs in my lab and the tutors pc now i am pretty sure he has win xp. So all 9 pcs are connected to a switch in another room and hence they all have internet. There is also another pc (a dedicated server) in this other room as well which is also connected to the switch.

So we must be in a client / server setup as his xp pc has admin rights over all of us, he control the share folder for all our pcs, what we can and can't install etc etc....

So i thought you had to have like win nt, 2003, 2008 to be the server controller(domain controller??)

Or is he somehow working "through" the server in the other room from his pc to act as the domain admin??

Or are we actually in a peer-to-peer setp ad win xp has the power to control certain things like this on our pcs??

maybe confusing from my description..

It's hard to know the exact setup, but I would imagine that he's probably either using remote desktop to the server or using MMC snapins from his computer. If the computers are indeed in an active directory setup, then he could use the active directory snapins from his computer.

It's hard to know the exact setup, but I would imagine that he's probably either using remote desktop to the server or using MMC snapins from his computer. If the computers are indeed in an active directory setup, then he could use the active directory snapins from his computer.

He was using remote desktop to access servre in other room.