Dual monitors taskbar issue

chromatic47

System: Win98se, nvidia v77.72 driver with dual monitors set up like so: [1] [2]

Per Win98 default, the taskbar is on screen[1]. The problem is that the docked edge of the taskbar is always visible on screen[2] as a 1 pixel line. Example, when the taskbar is docked to the right side of screen[1], a pixel-wide slice of it also appears along the left side of screen[2]. Similarly if docked at the top or bottom, one end of the taskbar "bleeds" onto the secondary display at the adjoining edge, as a 1 pixel line the height of the taskbar.

This also happens when the configuration is reversed: [2] [1] but in that case the left edge of the taskbar bleeds onto the right side of screen[2].

Anybody else have this? I'm wondering if Win98 has a slight one-pixel problem calculating screen positions, and/or if there is a way to fix the apparent offset.

Edited by chromatic47

The taskbar has 1 extra pixel off-screen in each direction, and I believe this is true on all Windows versions at least up through XP. What normally happens in a multi-monitor setup is that extra pixel is visible when your system boots up but then vanishes after startup is completed; this is how it's worked on any of my 98SE systems, NVidia or ATI. Since it's not going away for you, and based on the typical behavior (of being visible initially), I'd suspect it's a driver issue (or at least video card-related software). Try using an older version of the drivers and see if the issue still occurs; support for the edge cleanup in a multi-monitor setup could have become broken in later releases as 9x support waned.

Queue

The taskbar has 1 extra pixel off-screen in each direction, and I believe this is true on all Windows versions at least up through XP. What normally happens in a multi-monitor setup is that extra pixel is visible when your system boots up but then vanishes after startup is completed; this is how it's worked on any of my 98SE systems, NVidia or ATI.

Thanks Queue. :hello: Amazing that I searched google every which way I can think of, and come up with zilch, I mean zero, then ask in MSFN and voila!

I'll report back when I fix this.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, it's not happening for me, with UberSkin installed. And maybe it's not about UberSkin... try the 256-colors patched Explorer.exe, maybe it fixes this issue too.

My setup is Win98SE (Explorer.exe 4.72.3612.1710), UberSkin 8.3.6, MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 VTD8X with MSI driver 45.32. Dual-view IBM G50 and HP56 monitors (both 15").

Edited by Drugwash