The cause of "icfgnt.dll error" with XPsp3

timminn

I was using nlite 1.491 to customize the XPsp3en disc,

while there always was a consistant error "file icfgnt.dll missed" poping up in the middle, as a consequence, IE cannot be used after the XP installation, neither IE7 can be installed.

That error seems very much likely to be caused by the change of the "Program Files" directory.

In my customized installation disc no removal of components, services, and etc have been made, whereas some changes like the built-in adminstrator/guest name, and the default paths had been made, as a result the error message keeps poping up.

However, if I keep the default path of "Program Files" intact, the error disappears right away.

Afterwards, keeping the intact "Program Files" path, I remove any component or service as will, the error still does not show up either, and the setuperr.log file appears to be empty after installation.

I am not sure whether this is related to nlite or not.

Only that, I have used the manually written unattend file to change the "Program Files" directory with XPsp2en[note: NOT sp3] before, everything went smooth.

In these two threads I thought it is caused by nlite and IE7, but indeed it is not and I was wrong.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128705

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128678

I would like to say thank you to all those gave suggestions to help in these two threads, and sorry about the copy right issues -- I really did not know the BT approach is illeagal, neither I meant to break the rule here in this forum.

Edited by timminn

• 10 months later...

timminn and David McMahon, we need more information. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? Have you run any other programs (other than nLite) against your source? What is your source - OEM, retail, etc? Please post screen shots of your errors. This is easy to do if you are using a virtual system (which I hope you are - VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Server are free). And, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: timminn, is the file icfgnt.dll file on your install disk?

Edited by johnhc

David McMahon, we still need to know what error(s) you are getting. Please tell us exactly what the message(s) is/are. If you are having missing files, then search your nLited folder to see it the files are there. I suspect your array of hot fixes. I run XP x64 so don't recognize your updates but they look really strange to me. I see many updates labeled for Media Player 11, but I do not see that you have installed WMP11, or maybe that is it at the bottom - should be at the top. You also have an AddOn I know nothing about. These are a good source of problems. Are your hot fixes in the correct order - oldest at the top? I recommend you get a virtual system (VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Server are free) and start taking out AddOns and hot fixes (assuming you get them in the correct order) and test the ISO. Enjoy, John.

Hi getting same error as OP, missing icfgnt.dll at T-15 on setup, OP found that the Program Files directory and solved the problem by ensuring the Program Files directory is default, however does not work for me :(

Oh and thanks about that setting, made it in a rush trying to do a build I also accidently swapped my mouse buttons over on that build! D'oh

David McMahon, I don't know why changing the Program Files directory would have fixed the OP's problem. So please attach (not paste) your Last Session. Is the file present in you nLited folder? If not, is it in your original CD files? Did you get your hot fix order straighten out and start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders? Enjoy, John.