Max. partition size for 2K's CHKDSK and defrag?

joanne342

Hiya

Thanks for those last two replies. That's useful information.

The reason I'm using SP3 is that it's on the version of the install disk i have. I only use win2k for the internet and I only got it because my mobile broadband said the oldest OS it would work with is 2k so I made a dual boot system. I was very happy using 98 before that.

I don't use automatic updates because 3 Mobile Broadband can be flaky at times so if I try to top up the couple of days before my data allowance is due to run out and it doesn't let me do it, then I do the top up after the data allowance has run out and it's charging me £1 a MB (either that or walk to the library and do it) I just don't want automatic updates doing a great big download at the time =)

I reformatted and reinstalled windows quite recently so I don't have all the updates on 2k at the moment, but I spend most of my time using 98 anyway.

Yes, you can go to the library like I do and download the SP4 patch and copy it to flash. Then

go home and get the W2K install disk with SP3 along with NLITE on this forum and slip the old OS with the new

SP4 patch. Then reburn a new install disk. The only thing you would have to do via internet is download

the patches which can be quite a few, or get the unofficial SP5 Win2k patch file that people maintain on this

forum for all the updated W2K patches. Again, you could go to the library, copy to flash and slip this unofficial

patch into your slipped SP4 OS.

BTW, if your computer is old enough and you have the INTEL chipset 8xx, then for the large disks greater

than 137 gigs you'll need the intel application accelerator (IAA) software which also provides 48-bit LBA support else

you'll still have data loss problems.

Edited by mikesw

BTW, if your computer is old enough and you have the INTEL chipset 8xx, then for the large disks greater than 137 gigs you'll need the intel application accelerator (IAA) software which also provides 48-bit LBA support else you'll still have data loss problems.
Don't worry! Your JETWAY 830CH motherboard has a SiS 730S chipset, not any INTEL chipset, so it's not the case, you don't need IAA.

And, BTW, you don't need to create a slipstreamed SP4 installation disk, unless you intend to do many installs, which I don't think is the case. It suffices to download and apply the SP4 update and 2000 UR1 (MS Win 2k SP4 Update Rollup 1 (UR1) v2.0) to your system (you may also get them safely at MDGx's). But do backup first, just to be on the safe side! :yes:

Edited by dencorso