[solved]nuhi please have a look, nlite1.491 does not work properly wit

timminn

The problem has been solved in this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129217

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done the following to try to generate an ISO with the slightest modification, using the M$ official MSDN XPsp3 ISO image:

I used nlite1.4.9.1 ONLY to change the user name and default log on user with official MSDN XPsp3, and nothing else.

[What I really have done is, to modify the name "administrator" to "tim", and "guest" to "minn", and set tim to be automatically logged on]

NO hotfix, NO integradation[except the original sp3 package is selected from the official ISO file], NO driver, NO removal, NO any other change.

But there is an icfgnt.dll missing error popping up in the middle way of installation.

And the worst thing is, I cannot even start IE6 after this installation.

Could you please have a look? Thank you very much.

And the following is a copy of setuperr.log

Error:
F:\i386\msgr3en.dll was not copied to C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\msgr3en.dll
because of the following error:
The operation was canceled by the user.

Error:
Setup was unable to process some components because of the following error:
The operation was canceled by the user.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpHost.exe because of the
following error:
Unknown returned error 0 (0).

Error:
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\brpinfo.dll because of the
following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).

Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcfg.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in
diagnosing this problem.

Error:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\activeds.dll because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control e:\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\MSInfo\ieinfo5.ocx because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).

Edited by timminn

hmmm... I'm kinda clutching at straws here but at what stage of the install do these errors occur?

is it after the installer has asked you for the administrator/tim password? if so I would maybe take a guess that windows for some reason needs to give itself admin permission to copy/register msgr3en.dll but stores the username to grant permission as administrator (rather than a variable that can be changed to "tim") therefore when is tries to copy/register and finds no password bound to administrator it freaks out....

Just a thought, I'd be interested to see the outcome of this as I wasn't even aware you could change the admin/guest usernames.

timminn, I don't understand where your source files/folders come from. Did you pay for them? Give us a link so we can take a look. This error comes up when some components are removed (search here for icfgnt.dll). I don't think you have found an nLite error, but have bad source. Please attach (not paste) you Last Session.ini. Enjoy, John.

timminn, I don't understand where your source files/folders come from. Did you pay for them? Give us a link so we can take a look. This error comes up when some components are removed (search here for icfgnt.dll). I don't think you have found an nLite error, but have bad source. Please attach (not paste) you Last Session.ini. Enjoy, John.

I got my own oem disc come with my laptop, but actually i am using an ISO from Bittorrent download,

the file name is "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso"

this file's md5 hash code is the same as the one published via MSDN by M$, so it can be confirmed as the official image.

And I did not remove any component, not even a single component at all.

my lastsessoin.ini has been attached, please have a look thank you.

Your help is appreciated.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by timminn

I got my own oem disc come with my laptop, but actually i am using an ISO from Bittorrent download,

the file name is "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso"

this file's md5 hash code is the same as the one published via MSDN by M$, so it can be confirmed as the official image.

So you're using a retail version while you only own an OEM version?

That's probably not legal...

So you're using a retail version while you only own an OEM version?

That's probably not legal...

uhhh....but i am not distributing it to anybody else. for my personal use only

timminn, I suspect your Windows copy is not legal. Did you pay for it? Did it come with a key and if not what key are you using?

You have removed so many files, no wonder things don't work right. You say you have not removed any components, but I don't have any idea what you have removed via [RemoveFiles]. Quit doing that and see what you end up with. Enjoy, John.

uhhh....but i am not distributing it to anybody else. for my personal use only

Still illegal.

And illegal activities are not allowed on this board?!

But I had an MSDN account for downloading when I was a student...and I still got my personal msdn product key[for me only]...

it is not fair to ban my further usage of this...

but, could we focus on the problem first? I would like to solve it indeed.

Ah but it you DID distribute it in part when you dl'ed via bittorrent...

So you propigated the distrubution of it, which is definatly illegal.

If you use your keys on someone elses car and take their car because your key happens to work is it then legal? NO!

Besides an OEM key will NOT work with a retail copy.

change the last 3 digits of your PID in setupp.ini to OEM (as opposed to the last 3 numerical that I can't remember because I'm not awake properly yet :P) and your OEM key will work. Also MSDN keys are for testing purposes only so you can't legally use and MSDN key either.

johnhc, sorry about that. I was under the impression that timmin had an OEM license for windows xp but no disc (I have since re-read the thread). What I was trying to tell him was how to turn his retail/VLK copy of xp into an OEM one so that he could use the current license without having to get an OEM disc from his hardware manufacturer. Had I been trying to assist him in illegally using xp I would probably have told him to use the MSFN copy (which I would not advise anyone does because if too many of these keys are abused we may be in danger of losing MSFN for testing purposes which is something my job pivots on). Either way he does claim to have the OEM disc from the manufacturer so I would advise he uses that as his nlite source (remember to be very careful with the unattended options on OEM discs as they can break if you're not).

Apologies again for the confusion :)

majormashup, thanks for your reply. The moderators here are usually pretty quick about suppressing talk of SW that was obtained or being used illegally. I know nothing about MSDN, but it sounds like it is very useful to you and many. I do hope you continue to share your knowledge and expertise here. The forum can certainly benefit. BTW I assume you meant MSDN, not MSFN, in your reply. Enjoy, John.