System 32 driver NVCCHFLT.SYS is corrupt or missing.

Amadauss

I tried to update my video drivers and now receive error message about missing a System 32 driver for nvidia. Have ASUS with SATA raid. I have followed the directions on how to get them back with Nlite but have roadblock in that I do not have the original OS disk. I do have a windows xp disk with my other computer. I cannot lose the data on the drive or would have done a clean boot. Is their a way to do it around not having the disk? I was even thinking I could take my hard drive out of the working computer, and let the system boot with it, and then have the original drive become a backup and get the data that way and then just do a clean boot of the computer without the driver. Would this work? Would love to just put back the NVCCHFLT.SYS drive back into the windows folder.

Or could I actually take the drive missing the files, put it into my other computer as a secondary and then open the window files on it and add the driver I am missing?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Amadauss

You need to boot your computer with an OS that can read the NTFS partition. You can do this with WinPE or NTFSDOS. But its likely that file already exists. The "missing or corrupted" message Windows gives is pretty misleading as it usually means that one of the files THAT particular file imports (a dependent file) is the wrong version, missing or corrupted.

But if you do not have access to an NTFS OS then you can put it in another computer as a slave as you noted. You may have to re-attrib the file in order to replace it, if Windows has it flagged as a protected system file.

I do not recommend using this hard drive to boot in another computer.

Thank you very much for your help. I am guessing for me the easiest way is to put the hard drive into another computer and then try and put the folder back in to the windows folder. I am not sure what you mean by re-attribute though. I really would not have a problem just starting over, but I have email and some files in my documents I really need so that is what I am looking to save. Can I just open the drive as a slave and take the outlook emails to a new drive that would have outlook set up on it? Thanks again for your help.

Mike

You can, but there may be tools you can use to get those files also. Look up how to migrate Outlook to a new computer.

Attrib is a CLI program that allows you to change file attributes. You use + to add, - to remove. The attributes are R (Read-Only), A (Archive), S (Protected System) and H (Hidden). Most system files are +R -A +S +H. So if Windows gives you trouble deleting or replaceing a file, it may be flagged as being protected. So you would need to run attrib.exe filename.sys -R +A -S -H. and reverse that after putting the new file in so Windows doesn't have a problem with it.