PIO and DMA, Power interupt spikes, new board

I just bought this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131324

Now whenever I switch to dma from pio the dvdrom drive freezes up. In the device manager when got to IDE ATAPI controllers I see double listings For the primary, secondary and Standard But dual pci... channels.

In the primary ide channel the first occurance gives dma if available. The second primary ide channel pio only. If I switch to dma to the second the dvdrom drive freezes up. The dvdrom drives worked with out a hitch on the last board (asus a8n5x) I used. If I keep it as is I get power interupt spikes that take 50 percent of the cpu processing. If I deleted all the IDE ATA/Atapi controllers would windows set up new ones? Or is this a problem with the board? There is only one ide connector on this board and no secondary connector. I reinstalled the os 3 times and the same thing occurred all three times. The local area connection is also not being assigned an address so I keep getting the limited or low connectivity icon in the tray.

Thanks in advance.

I deleted all the above mentioned ide drivers and the same occurred. The 2 dvd rom drives will not work if dma is activated.

I just get a lot of power interrupt spikes when other software runs or starts up such as Thunderbird, Sami Tolvanen's eraser or Disk Explorer Profressional 3 also. These sort of spikes didn't occur at this level on the last board. If I'm running an mp3 file the sound starts to stutter during these interrupts.

This is also my first dual core processor in the task manager cpu history one graph per cpu or the combine setting I am seeing the same graphs shoulden't there be two in the per cpu setting?

TIA

Edited by George27

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131324

Now whenever I switch to dma from pio the dvdrom drive freezes up. In the device manager when got to IDE ATAPI controllers I see double listings For the primary, secondary and Standard But dual pci... channels.

In the primary ide channel the first occurance gives dma if available. The second primary ide channel pio only. If I switch to dma to the second the dvdrom drive freezes up. The dvdrom drives worked with out a hitch on the last board (asus a8n5x) I used. If I keep it as is I get power interupt spikes that take 50 percent of the cpu processing. If I deleted all the IDE ATA/Atapi controllers would windows set up new ones? Or is this a problem with the board? There is only one ide connector on this board and no secondary connector. I reinstalled the os 3 times and the same thing occurred all three times. The local area connection is also not being assigned an address so I keep getting the limited or low connectivity icon in the tray.

Thanks in advance.

I deleted all the above mentioned ide drivers and the same occurred. The 2 dvd rom drives will not work if dma is activated.

I just get a lot of power interrupt spikes when other software runs or starts up such as Thunderbird, Sami Tolvanen's eraser or Disk Explorer Profressional 3 also. These sort of spikes didn't occur at this level on the last board. If I'm running an mp3 file the sound starts to stutter during these interrupts.

This is also my first dual core processor in the task manager cpu history one graph per cpu or the combine setting I am seeing the same graphs shoulden't there be two in the per cpu setting?

TIA

Looks like ATA corruption. Likely from a bad cable.

It's not clear from your description, but do you have two DVD-ROM drives on one cable?

If so are they both jumpered to CS (Cable Select) or one to Master, one to Slave? If both are set to CS, try setting one to Master, one to Slave.

This once worked for me on a quite different board, but which uses the same AMD chipset. I know CS is supposed to work with an 80-wire cable, but in my case it did not. Rather than find out why not, I just took the route that worked.

Thanks for your replies, I put in the old board and and everything was working as it should be with the same cable and 2 dvdr's set up. The master slave were properly setup. On the new board I ran Vcomm fix it utilities hardware diagnostics and it found problems with the onboard nic, it couldn't be pinged. I thought that I mentioned but I guess I didn't that on the local area connection I was getting low connectivity / no connectivity error messages. I tried updating the bios and it ran even worse it took about ninety minuites to shut down. I returned the board. The only thing I had to do was plug in the ide cable and power24x4 cables those were the only out side of the board besides the cpu and ram. It's the board. The more onboard stuff the more chances failure.