ATI 4870 and PCI express mode

Octopuss

Long story short: is x4 mode enough? By only (or "only") using x4 instead of x16, am I getting any performance hit? I just realized that pci-e slots on my board are dead (wtf??) and the x16 slot runs somewhat unreliably, so I got the card in the lower one. And I just realized it only supports x4 mode.

I'll answer myself: not. x16 and everything is so much faster.

BUT

the real x16 slot refuses to accept the presence of the VGA most of the time. I restart the PC and beeeeep, error, no signal going in the monitor. I can reset for ages and no result. Sometimes it seems to help to unplug and plug back, but... I couldn't find anything that really works to solve it. Extremely annoying.

Would anyone know what's up?

Would anyone know what's up?

First, you had a post about your motherboard being dead, then a post about your NIC making your computer BSOD lots, and now it's slots that don't work...

There's obviously some problem with your hardware, might be your motherboard.

I sorted those out. It was not dead, I just didn't know that when you plug something in the x4 slot, all x1 ones get disabled.

All (well, most) the BSODs I had are related to one particular game... Must be something badly written.

All the slots work - only the real x16 ones sometimes refuses to accept the VGA or something - I am not sure what's up.