Are onboard network adapters crap?

Octopuss

I recently got symmetrical 30mbit connection at home. Fine. Lately I noticed that when I run torrents and they upload at full speed (say slightly over 3MB/s) sometimes when I get back to the PC it hangs in BSOD (didn't write the info down so no idea what it said). It never happened before so I assume it might be the stupid Realtek 8111B unable to handle lots of connections and high speed (though it;s nowhere close to 100mbit anyway).

So how are the integrated network adapters in general? Bad? Really bad? Any known problems and reason why to switch over to something else? (if yes, please suggest something).

See this thread for your answer.

In short: no it's just fine. I've had 0 such problems with onboard realtek "NICs" (which a LARGE number of PCI and PCI-e cards also use) over the years, neither did we have at work (and that means on thousands of PCs). Your BSOD is either a bad driver (it happens), malware, or defective hardware (may or may not be the NIC).

If you need help with your BSOD problem, post a dump or minidump...

Well the fact is that it never happened when my connection was slow. Normally it works just fine. Only that this showed up a few times lately.

I will try to reproduce it again and post details.

I'm no networking expert at all but this looks like wallet-trap for the uneducated gamer masses...

Fools and their money are easily parted. Just look at the big audiophile market, filled with overpriced cables and all...