"My Documents" in Windows Server 2003

todarsey

I have inherited the responsibilities of the network at my church. The previous admin set up all of the computers on the LAN to log into the computer instead of the domain (which I found out that he was having problems with Windows Firewall on the 03 server and couldn't get them to log on.) So, on to my problem. He had set all of the users "My Documents" paths to look onto a shared folder on the server and only that person has access to that folder. I have already gone into the properties of My Computer -> Advanced -> User Profile Settings and copied the settings from the computer\user to domain\user. Now, my problem is that when that I log on as that user on the domain (which has domain\user permissions) none of those settings are set the way they should be but if I add the user to be a domain\admin the settings take affect like they should. I think it might be a registry permissions issue because the settings in the reg are not correct when the user only has domain\user permissions but is correct when the user is added to domain\admins. Can anyone help me?

Hmmm... I am thinking that you might not want or need to do a full data migration the way you are thinking. Unless drive space on the file server is becoming a problem that is.

Here is me thinking aloud, maybe it can help you out.

... Set the local accounts' My Documents (using system variable) to synchronize with the data on their server share. You would only need to do this once. You can set this up with a logon script, or have them do it manually. Of course there will be some down-time for your users during the file transfer.

... Also possible, Server 2003 requires both NTFS and Domain permissions to fully access anything properly. Make sure you set permissions on the Sharing and Security tabs properly. Hopefully these users are in an OU and not just part of the Users group, but even then it might not be too big of a deal.

Is this to say that the user's data is only to be kept locally on their computers and not on the server anymore? Is there no data to be shared between people at all?

If its fine to keep the data on the server after you get it to the PC... it might be a good idea, especially if anyone set up shortcuts to files up there.

Not sure if you would want to use roaming profiles either (after the migration) to automatically sync up to the server for backup reasons.