Unknown Disk

nicrmo

I have an interesting problem that I am trying to resolve. I've found one other thread that discussed this and it did not offer any help. I have an XP CD with SP2 that I am using as a basis for a SP3 slipstreamed install disk. The first iteration of this worked and successfully installed XP with SP3 but moved my system drive to G:\. During install I remembered there being two entries that read "Unknown Disk There is no disk in this drive" along side my physical hard drive.

My thinking is that the two "Unknown Disk" entries, plus my two CD ROMs, took up drive letters C-F and such my system was installed to G. So I've been trying to get rid of these entries to allow my system drive letter to be C:\.

To test to see what was causing the entries I ran several discs with different configurations. The only way I've found to eliminate these entries is to simply slipstream SP3 into my XP install without adding any other options or drivers. The simplest configuration I've found that produced the entries had SP3 and options from other menus, but did not include supplemental mother board drivers.

Does anyone know what could be causing these "Unknown Disk" entries during installation? I have included Last Session.ini for your examination.

Thanks,

Mike

Last_Session.ini

This is usually caused by internal card readers. Your post confirms they are "removable" drives.

My thinking is that the two "Unknown Disk" entries, plus my two CD ROMs, took up drive letters C-F and such my system was installed to G.

Can you not see them (letters) after install to know what they are ?

If you have a media card reader (for SD, xD, Memory Stick, CompactFlash cards, etc.) disconnect it when installing Windows. Reconnect when finished.

Also, try changing the boot order in BIOS so the desired hard drive and controller is first on the list (after the CD-ROM drive used to install Windows) if you have more than one hard drive or hard drive controller. If you can't move the desired hard drive controller to the fore then don't install any other controller's drivers until after Windows is installed.

Failure to heed the advice above has resulted in my Windows drive being letter "I".

Edited by 5eraph

All, thank you for your help. The card readers were the issue. I unplugged them from the USB header and now I have a proper C:\ drive.

So this make me wonder, is it possible to install XP to a CF card and if so, is it nLite or SP3 that allows it?

Edited by nicrmo