mb dead after BSOD?

Octopuss

I think my EP35-DS4 went FUBAR.

I came home and saw Windoze crashed to BSOD with error in tcpip.sys.

Okay, that happens.

BUT after reboot it looks like the bios doesn't reflect on any changes at all. I even flashed the BIOS from F5 to F6a (both worked ok before) and no change.

I flashed the BIOS and loaded defaults, reseted, then back to BIOS, set up my usual configuration... Only to see (still at the POST screen) the CPU being identified as E8400 (well that is correct) running at um something like 333x7 I believe, despite the fact 500x7.5 was set. When I changed the multiplier to something else the CPU speed went even lower. I don't get it but am getting desperate here.

Any ideas what to do?

edit: looks like it's just FSB. Locked at 333MHz and I can't change it no matter what (actually I can change it in the BIOS of course but it's ignored).

Edited by TheWalrus

well stop flashing your bios, keep it at the latest version.

reset the cmos.

if that doesnt work then start pulling things out that you dont need.

what exactly is the problem though, aside from it reporting the wrong speed?

is it not booting into windows?

is it able to boot off of a cd at all?

and a tcpip.sys BSOD? having a fun time downloading huh ;)

It does not report bad speed, it RUNS at wrong speed. Any change to FSB in the BIOS is completely ignored and it since the BSOD it runs at 333 (which happens to be default for my CPU).

The weird thing is that everything works. Network, sound, everything. Just the BIOS and/or the board seems screwed up *somehow*. It was working perfectly fine at 7.5x500 MHz until I had to do hard reset after the BSOD. Just WTF :-O

And of course I did reset CMOS several times.

so it does work then, i had an issue about a year ago where the motherboard wasnt keeping the correct speed and the problem was that the motherboard was half dead. i am not sure what to say to you about this, if the motherboard cant keep the correct settings then there is most likely something wrong with the motherboard. if you are able to RMA and feel like RMAing then you can try that router if you want as a last resort.

Well it does keep the settings, only the dreaded FSB all of a sudden.

I will try to play with it for a bit, but will likely RMA in the end. But being at least two weeks without the computer SUCKS!