Save Options/Config paths

People are having issues with the way WPI saves the paths for the useroptions.js and config.js files. It has to save them in the registry because when leave Options/Config wizards WPI does a document.reload() call. This is not needed if using the default files, but if you specified one via command line, or loaded a different one from within either wizard, it will be forgotten.

This also causes problems if you have more than one copy of WPI on your computer. Say you have 7.2.2 and used that last. Then you switched to your DVD copy to test it; WPI will load the files from the 7.2.2 folder instead of the DVD.

The question is now: When quit or after install is completed, delete the reg keys? Or keep them? I say delete them.

Remember, if they get deleted, you will have to specify the file(s) you want use every time if not using the default files.

Delete while exiting WPI.

While starting WPI:

If command line argument is specified for config/option files, use them. Otherwise load them from current WPI folder.

If at all anybody loads a new config/option file while in Edit Screen via Load Button, do not forget to refresh the main screen

with the same, after coming out of edit screen.

I'm happy with the way I have it now. All the reg keys get flushed out after quit or after install complete.

Using a temp file would cause the same problems if WPI crashed, hit the X close button on the window (WPI can't catch this and doesn't quit properly. mshta quits but doesn't tell the program to shut down). Either way the same problems can happen, just in a different way.

mritter, I'm for deleting the keys as you have implemented. I have had problems on both ends of the process (configuring and installing). Since I have multiple working nLite folders containing WPI, when I start WPI from one folder, I want it to use the files in that folder not the last I one I used. I think the new way will correct the problems I have seen - such as updates going into the wrong copy of WPI and doing an install missing all the changes I had made.

Thanks much, John.

I'm happy with the way I have it now. All the reg keys get flushed out after quit or after install complete.

Using a temp file would cause the same problems if WPI crashed, hit the X close button on the window (WPI can't catch this and doesn't quit properly. mshta quits but doesn't tell the program to shut down). Either way the same problems can happen, just in a different way.

Thats fine. But in my opinian a portable app should not write to registry because in many cases it will not be used anymore.

For example: I have WPI and some apps on my USB-stick to install them on every machine I want - and in nearly all cases I don't run WPI on such a machine again.

So it would be nicer to have such data in a temp file instead in the registry.

Al

When will all the new patches included in the download-archive? Is there a possibility to download the latest dev-version?