Worth upgrading to IE7? And IE8?

phaolo

Hello I see by now that IE6 is considered obsolete (yeh).

I hate changing version if the new one doesn't improve the application or maybe does worse (like takes more resources for nothing).

Is there a good reason to upgrade to IE7? Should I wait directly for IE8? No Microsof opinions of course.

Thanks

P.S: ok I have Firefox too! Let's talk about IE now :P

well... i don't have complain upgrading ie6 to ie7... at least now my IE is tabbed browsing... plus if you download the IE7PRO... you can download it from here http://www.ie7pro.com/ ... i'm sure as it hell... it will have an extra feature like the one you've got on firefox... like the adblock, privacy control, session restore, youtube plugin and something else...

so... put it this way... IE7 + IE7PRO = More or less like Firefox...

ah... we're talking about IE7 rite?

Is there a good reason to upgrade to IE7?

Tabbed browsing. Somewhat better security, somewhat better page rendering, RSS support, etc. Some other little things. There's no real reason to stick with IE6.

Should I wait directly for IE8?

Why would anyone wait? IE8 will be a lot better seemingly (at least when it comes to rendering pages properly), but that's no reason to wait...

Not that I actually ever use IE...

IE7 + IE7PRO = More or less like Firefox...

Hmm, no. Not quite. There's a lot of big and fundamental differences.

Well, I want to wait as I going to do an unattended dvd with the best IE version installed (paired with Firefox).

That's why I asked info before trying (as the evil browser is system integrated).

Newer version are not always good for me, for example I quite like WMP 10 but the 11 is horrible (uncomfortable). Ye ye, I use both VLC and Winamp too :P

Edited by phaolo

Ok, I've downloaded version 7 and I'm going to test it on a VM.

I remember a sticky about unatttended IE but I can't find it anymore.. could anyone give me a link to it?

edit:

Urrk.. IE7 is pretty ugly. Luckly something can be done (like showing and moving menu bar at top, removing live search), but as usual all can be done only from the registry :rolleyes:

Going to look a way to add pinned favorites as default.. or maybe I'll wait for IE8

Edited by phaolo