Best way to name a user OOBE?

morgrym

I currently use OOBE to enter a unique name. Windows has a "personalize your software" windows that comes up b4 oobe runs so I have to enter in a name twice, and go thru OOBE if I remove OOBE will I still get to name the user on setup? If not and I still want to enter a unique name on install whats the best method?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If you remove OOBE, I think that you will be offered with account named Administrator on first login. So if you want to have unique name, use Unattended page in nLite to create user account. I think that this is the only way if you remove OOBE.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

Yes I am talking about nlite. If you use the unattended section of nlite you have to predefine the user names right? I want to be prompted for a name that can be unique, to be typed in. Is the only/best way to do this via OOBE?

I hope that explains my question better.

Mike

I thought OOBE was needed to register your Windows version?

Although you can add your serial and username for setup in nlite, how are you guyes doing the registering when OOBE is left out?

Stupid question may be, but I am told there are no stupid questions ;)

If you don't have a VLK version or a preactivated OEM version, you need to keep OOBE (in the components removal). I'm not sure about skipping it (in Unattended section), I think you can. Still for XP HOME, you then need to enter at least one additional user that will serve as "user1" or "owner" or whatver you name the 1st user at OOBE.

I'm not sure about skipping it (in Unattended section), I think you can. Still for XP HOME, you then need to enter at least one additional user that will serve as "user1" or "owner" or whatver you name the 1st user at OOBE.

.. quoting myself :blushing:

I meant if you skip OOBE in XP Home, you need to enter that one user name IN THE UNATTENDED SECTION.