Server service

phaolo

I'm testing an unattended XP Pro iso.

Can you explain to me why the Server service is missing? I still don't understand.

Event log reports an error:

"The Computer Browser service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanServer"

I've attached my INI file (last nlite version)

Last_Session.ini

Edited by phaolo

phaolo, in your .ini there is 'LanmanServer,2' under services. I don't know what the 2 means, but I suspect you have set it to Manual. Try going into Services under Computer Management and start the service. If that works, set it to Automatic and leave it alone the next time you run nLite. Enjoy, John.

Unfortuantely:

2 is automatic

3 is manual

4 is disabled

Server doesn't even appear in the Computer Management list! (like it wasn't installed)

Ahh that service is making me crazy @_@

EDIT:

Oh my God I've found it. I've read that the Server service disappears if File&Printer Sharing is not installed.

I didn't know mine was, so I checked, found missing, installed and... et voilà Server is back!

Now, however, I'll have to find what deleted File&Printer Sharing from the unattended method.

Edited by phaolo

phaolo, make sure you always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all you work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please let us know if you discover how the Printer Sharing disappeared. Thanks for the Services number meanings. Enjoy, John.

Mm.. maybe file&printers sharing was turned off by the unattended installed program SafeXp. A strange thing is that the service doesn't reappear automatically if I deselect the option to disable it. Well I'll have to test it again in the virtual machine.

"Computer browser" now starts but stops after a while reporting a timeout. Probably it's a bug because I've found a Miscrosoft hotfix about it:

-When you disable the Windows Firewall service on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer, the Computer Browser service stops after five minutes and Event ID 7023 is logged in the Event Viewer-

Doh..it's not an available download

EDIT

Found the patch KB889320 on a site called Hotfix Share Portal (hoping is reliable).

Problem solved :D

Edited by phaolo