trojans or just n00b stupidity?

ososment

Hi

I've been using nLite to mod xp for my eeepc (I just couldn't get to grips with the amount of d20 rolls to get linux to work) all was fine until it started to compile the lowfat version for me to install.

My anti virus screamed at me that I had a virus/unwanted program named:TR/Sfc.A.mod within sfc_os.dll

any ideas? I'm using a straight back up of my original copy of xp, vista laptop is clean...

any help gratefully received old beans

Check your sfc_os.dll on http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and see what other scanners think about it.

I have checked on the antivir page, there seems to be very little about it. And that link seems to hate me... What I guess I was asking is if TR/Sfc.A.mod is just part of the nLite process...

Edited by ososment

Unsure what D20 rolls are. But I gave Linux a try using Linux Mint latest version and its so easy to install and has NVDIA drivers available and found printer no trouble and able to get on the internet within about 35 min from start of install and has firewall built in. Built in program to do back up as well. And also makes Windows XP feel like out of the ark. I have only just started installing Linux Mint so cant comment fullly on it yet. So suggest you have another look at trying Mint. Im trying both Win XP and Mint at moment. So many drivers etc needed for Xp and Mint doenst need them.

100% certain it's a false positive.

Many antivirus programs use checksums of various file versions and flag anything that doesn't match the checksum of a known version.

nLite modified sfc_os and so the checksum doesn't match the known SP2 or SP3 or whatever version of the file you're using.

I suggest you add a rule in your AV software to prevent it from checking your entire nLite directory so that the software doesn't try to "help" you out by quarantining/autodeleting this or other dlls.