HP XP SP 3 UAA Fix

Macster

For all those who are trying to find a way to install Microsoft's High Definition Audio Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver, and are having problems installing the sound drivers on a HP laptop (like DV9000) XP SP3 (slipped streamed, not sure if this works with XP SP 3 Retail), I have found away to get the sound drivers to load.

The steps are as follows:

1) Change Reg setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlWindows\CSDVERSION = 00000200 [REG_DWORD]

2) Reboot machine.

3) Install MS UAA Driver (mine was sp33867.exe)

4) Install Sound Driver (mine was sp34200.exe for Conexant Sound Device)

5) Install other devices that require the SP 2. (Like on my laptop the modem driver also uses the same installer engine as the Sound Driver which happens to be a Conexant).

6) Change Registry Setting back:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlWindows\CSDVERSION = 00000300 [REG_DWORD]

7) Reboot machine.

So why the registry changes, because the installers themselves do a check to see if the system is compatible with the driver. By making these registry changes, you are in-fact fooling the installer into thinking that XP is running SP 2. But keep in mind, that XP is still running SP 3 software, so if this doesn't fix your problem then other measures may need to be taken into consideration. Now I was able to get this to work on my DV9200 laptop should your model be different this may or may not work.

I am still trying to find a nice casual way of silently installing the HP drivers. I have done quite a bit of searching on this issue and all I can come up with is this page and derivatives of it, but I think that information is dated cause some of the switches work (like the –s, –a, –e, and –f for the expanding SoftPaq software; but not for the installer of the driver the SoftPaq contains) and some don't (like the –silent gives me errors on some drivers and on other drivers it does nothing; but a few drivers actually work with the –silent switch). Some will tell you what switches to use by using the –silent switch, but most will not. Just keep in mind that the switches the driver instructs to use are used after the –s –a switches that are used for the SoftPaq software (not in place of).

Well this is all I know for now. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your time,

Craig

(I am not sure if this is the proper place to put this or not. If not please tell me where to go ... um, in a kind way. thanks ;) )

My dv6258se has a "Conexant High Definition Audio" sound card and had no issues installing the driver in XP SP3. I am using 3.26.0.50 which is newer than sp34200 (3.26.0.0), and that driver is for the same device. 3.26.0.50 is from Windows Update/Microsoft Update Catalog. XP SP3 already has a driver for the "Microsoft UUA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio", listed under System devices in Device Manager.

As for the modem, it works, but I stopped installing the driver for it since like many other people we don't have landline service.

My dv6258se has a "Conexant High Definition Audio" sound card and had no issues installing the driver in XP SP3. I am using 3.26.0.50 which is newer than sp34200 (3.26.0.0), and that driver is for the same device. 3.26.0.50 is from Windows Update/Microsoft Update Catalog. XP SP3 already has a driver for the "Microsoft UUA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio", listed under System devices in Device Manager.

As for the modem, it works, but I stopped installing the driver for it since like many other people we don't have landline service.

Wow, really? :unsure: That would figure, being as I have been working at this off and on for about a couple of months now. I have been searching high and low for answers to this delima only to find this registry change being refered to a different sound card with the same UUA bus. There is no reference anywhere on the web about an updated Conexant sound driver being available on the Microsoft Update Catalog until now. I only had just noticed the Registry change a day or two ago, and thought I would give it a try and it worked. So I thought I would spread the word. And even though I noticed the UUA bus driver in the SP 3, I was still having issues trying to get the sound driver to work, hence the Reg Change (thinking that the UUA driver wasn't working). Oh well, Thanks. Sorry, I just find this all to be a little frustrating. I will download the newly updated sound driver from Microsoft. Thanks again for the info. :rolleyes:

But would you by chance know of any switches to use for the unattended install of HP drivers? Outside of the ones I have already mentioned in the previous message. Or perhaps a utility that can setup an unattended install of HP drivers?

Edited by Macster

I don't know anything about switches, some of the MU Catalog drivers don't come with a setup. I keep all the drivers on a CD and extract the files from the Softpaq files, and after install use Device Manager or a provided setup that came with the driver. You can probably find a newer driver on HP's website using the search or looking on driver pages for different models that have the same hardware. They don't even have an XP driver page for mine, yet they have XP drivers available for everything in my laptop, and I have to scrounge around for newer Vista drivers because they won't tell me that either.

Anyway, the newer driver still predates SP3, the sound card's installer or installation through Device Manager and the resulting driver install works 100% fine on plain XP SP3. This is my sound card's Hardware ID found in the device's properties: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7

SP34200 supports:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30BB

so yours can only be one of those.