usb malfunction messages

George27

I just did a clean install of xpsp3. Prior to the reinstall out of the blue the remove hardware icon disapearred and blinks on and of causing the mouse light (ms optical wheel mouse) to shut of then on. The remove hardware button doesn't startup in the notification tray. Prior to the reinstall I was geting a usb malfunction message which no longer appeares and now a found new hardware but that it wasn't installed correctly or usb device not recognized. When the light goes off on the mouse I get the chiming sound when a usb printer is turned off. My hardware is about two years old and as such:

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

3D Fuzion 3DFR66256X GeForce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

ASUS A8N5X 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX

Can someone please help me to trouble shoot this? Is this a problem with the mouse or with the motherboard. The only thing that I found in a search for the usb malfunctioning message was to power off the computer for a half hour and then power up. This didn't resolve it. There are no virii or any sort of malware.

I'm lost and I could sure use some help.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by George27