Vista sidebar - Rss news feeds

DEKK3R

Hi,

I've removed IE. Does anyone know how to get the default rss news feeds to work on the sidebar?

Thanks

btw, i've been googling this for a while now........and zilch.

Edited by DEKK3R

Considering these use wininet.dll for networking, and removing IE also removes this binary (and all of it's associated connection registry blobs it uses) you're gonna have a tough go of it. If you put the msfeeds, wininet, and urlmon dll files back in system32 and re-register them (and if x64, the 32bit versions back in syswow64 and re-reg those as well), does it work? Note that IE also installs other RSS binaries, of which there are many, so just this may not work. You may actually have to keep IE if you wish to use RSS (my money's on the latter, but you can try the .dll re-reg to see what happens).

Just to reiterate, note the parent interface (IFeed) to the COM objects and the minimum availability requirements down below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686325(VS.85).aspx

Removing IE effectively removes RSS, as RSS is built on the IE platform and wininet.

Microsoft tends to save their customers money by cross-intergrating their products. It's only logical that internet based functionalities would be based off of their primary internet product, Internet Explorer.

Edited by jcarle

Yep........as far as i can see you're absolutely right. Just tried copying and registering the dlls, etc but no luck. Looks like i'm gonna have to use an alternative gadget.

Thanks for your help.