Can't delete corrupt folder in temp. internet files.

bizzybody

I'm attempting to remove a user account on a PC with XP Home but there's one folder under temporary internet files that Windows says is corrupt and can't be read. I don't need to read it, I need it GONE!

I can rename the folder but can't see anything in it. I've tried KillBox, Delete Dr., Disk Investigator (which claims the folder is empty) and various things with XCACLS. I've also booted it with Microsoft's DaRT 5.0, both connecting to the Windows install and not doing so.

Windows is determined to hang onto what it should destroy with extreme prejudice.

CHKDSK /F doesn't fix anything, run from a safe mode command prompt under Administrator login or with DaRT, it claims there's nothing wrong yet every time the PC is booted normally CHKDSK runs and says the volume is dirty, but no other problems found or fixed. What use is a repair utility that doesn't work? Ye Olde SCANDISK would find the bad file, "recover" some of it to useless .CHK files and nuke the rest.

Is there a Linux bootable CD image with a utility that can get rid of this problem?

I know I can "fix" it by running the system restore (it's a Dell Dimension B110 desktop) but that's the "nuclear option" to one stupid corrupted file or folder Windows should've been able to detect and remove without ever bothering the user. (Especially since it's in a TEMPORARY file location.)

As to the cause of this, I assume it was from especially bad Internet Explorer crash or malware.

I've run into this with XP a few times before, and have always had to resort to reformatting the entire drive or partition after copying off anything that needed saved. There has to be a better way!

The problem is that the file/folder is potentially linked to index.dat, which will get a handle to the file any time winlogon is running (which is all the time). Meaning, you will not (easily) be able to whack it without bugchecking the box, hence it doesn't get deleted. You are going to need a bootable CD with access to the filesystem to get rid of this, I would think.

A bootable CD running a system with write access to NTFS that also doesn't abide by Windows' protecting corrupt files.

ERD Commander (now Microsoft Diagnostic and Recovery Tools- DaRT)* don't work for this. I suspect that a disc built with Bart PE or UBCD for Windows won't work either.

Soooo, I'm going to see what's out there for Linux goodies, perhaps the regular UBCD, eh?

*DaRT 5.0 is for XP, DaRT 6.0 is for Vista and includes more tools- some of which can also be used on an XP box. Mainly the Standalone System Sweeper (use a CD-RW for 6.0 cuz the builder updates SSS malware definitions) for malware removal. The "full meal deal" includes both versions of DaRT and some other stuff is collectively called MDOP.