WinPE Crashes

Eagle710

with an image that big I would lean towards a memory issue. By default everything in the WIM is loaded into memory and that is where PE 2 runs from if you are leaving the CD/usb drive in the machine while using PE, put the large files in the iso folder instead of into the WIM structure, then they are available but not loaded into memory.

everything that is in the BOOT.WIM file gets loaded into memory. The error you are getting usually references a memory error in that you have run out. If you have a 400-500mb WIM compressed it has to decompress 500+mb into the system memory.

If you are using a USB device put the large files (i.e. disk images) at the root of the device, if you are making cd's put them in the ISO folder before creating your ISO.

Basically, as you increase your BOOT.WIM file size, your memory requirement on the MININT increases. Right now, our PE image works fine on machines with 512MB or higher. Machines with 256MB RAM do not load the PE properly or generate script errors, anything lower will give this error. Also, I will note I have also received this error when using a PXE server that did not support multicast (ie 2003) and attempting to deploy to more than 4 clients at once.

I do not attempt to put everything into the PE image, only what is needed to get the drive ready. All OSes and software are kept on the network.

So the big exe files I have I placed on the root of the USB and they run successfully. However these exe applications self extract settings and files to a folder on the USB key.... I would rather have those exes extract to a RAM drive. Any ideas?

Also while booted into WinPE I open the regedit and looking for the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FBWF]

"WinPECacheThreshold"=dword:00000010

Which should have one of the following values:

;dword:00000010 = 16

; 0x10 = 16Mb

; 0x18 = 24Mb

; 0x20 = 32Mb

; 0x30 = 48Mb

; 0x40 = 64Mb

; 0x48 = 72Mb

; 0x60 = 96Mb

; 0x80 = 128Mb

; 0x100 = 256Mb

Any idea why this key doesn't show? I would like to check the scratchspace of my current WIM and cannot.

Edited by Eagle710

1. open the WAIK Command window.

2. mountrw your boot WIM file

3. Run the PEIMG command to adjust the scratch size in the mounted image using /SCRATCHSPACE flag to set the size of the drive you want (in this case 128Mb) - peimg.exe /SCRATCHSPACE=128 c:\temp\mount\windows

replace c:\temp\mount\windows with the folder your image is mounted to.

4. unmount and commit changes

The way to check the value of the scratchspace is when booted into WinPE and a command prompt is open. Change to the X drive and type the dir command it will tell you the total size.

Edited by Eagle710