small suggestion - empty out SYSTEM

fdv

Hi all,

I think I posted this a while back but a forum search resulted in 21 pages, and I'm not going to go hunting for my own post...

Anyway, all of the files listed under the [Files.NoWin31.System32ToSystem] section in SYSSETUP.INF can be deleted.

This is true for all Windows versions, 2k, 2k3, and XP... they can all be removed. They are all copied to SYSTEM (not 32, just system) and are legacy, left over from Windows NT 3.1 (there really was an NT 3.1!) I have had an empty SYSTEM directory in all three OS's for a long time now and can confirm that nothing calls these files.

It's not that they take a lot of space, but I put little utilities like Process Explorer there by making an OEM structure like this: $OEM$ \ $$ \ system because it's easier to find them there than it is in SYSTEM32, and because SYSTEM is already defined as a valid path in the Windows variables.

Edited by fdv

I like that idea. I can confirm what you said - no file in the "windows/system/" directory is used anymore.

And I use procexp as well, a great program.

Can we just get rid of windows task manager and replace with procexp...?

Not easily... because of Windows File Protection (SFC). There are post install hacks to do it.

But in keeping with the theme of nLite I cannot think of anyway to delete and replace Task Manager.

Oh, I'm off subject. Yes good idea deleting everything in "WINDOWS/system/" folder.

You can replace the default task manager with process explorer without replacing taskmgr.exe. Look in the process explorer menus and there's an option there, it creates the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr

REG_SZ key called "Debugger" and the value the path to procexp.exe, every time you launch taskmgr.exe it'll launch procexp.exe instead.

Edited by redxii