Muted sound?

whyfronts?

Hi there,I hope this is in the right section??. I have been given a laptop a Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 with Vista business on it.The problem I am having is there is no sound.I click on the volume icon(bottom right) and it says there is no audio output device.I have used device manager and when I find the system volume details it says that it is working properly???? The icon has a red cross next to it.Can anyone help please?? Thanks If this is in the wrong area can someone advise me where to post...thanks again

This post has been edited by whyfronts?: Today, 03:25 PM

I'm not overly familiar with Toshibas (thank heaven) but the general procedure is to turn the machine on and while the machine does it's initial POST start up (before the OS loads) you press a certain key to get into the BIOS, usually F1, F2, or DEL. Once in the BIOS you will have to look through the various screens and settings for the Audio device and verify it is set to enabled.

On boot there is a hotkey to boot to your bios. Its Different depending on model/BIOS (usually an F-key). - like Iceman replied while I was replying B)

You will find settings in there.

*Also it may be tied to the modem, as the AMR and modem share an IRQ in a lot of OEM configs, which has potential for conflicts.

If thats the case you get to:

update your BIOS, still no luck

change the IRQ for one device (if one of them is PCI, removing it from the MotherBoard would also suffice)

dont rule out a bad sound card.

Edited by iamtheky