Unable to Setup Network

kumarkumar

I have two computers connected through a "Allied Telesis" Ethernet Switch, which in turn is connected to the Cable internet.

I have tried hundred times to setup a network between them using the "Network Setup Wizard", but the two computers don't show up in Network Neighborhood. I have enabled "Simple File Sharing" and "Allow Printer & File Sharing".

Each computer shows only itself in its "Network Neighborhood".

What do I do?

Edited by kumarkumar

Do you have a Firewall installed on the PCs? Are they members of the same Workgroup? :wacko:

I don't have any additional firewall, only the Default Windows Firewall.

Both the computers are in the same Workgroup called "MYGROUP".

Now if I am on "Computer#1" and navigate to "My Network Places-->Entire Network-->Microsoft Windows Network-->MYGROUP" I can only see "Computer#1".

If I do a computer search it doesn't return "Computer#2".

If I try "\\MYGROUP\Computer#2" it fails to access "Computer#2"

(Similar is the case with "Computer#2")

I can ping ""Computer#2" from "Computer#1" and vice versa using their IP Addresses.

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway are all different for both the computers.

DHCP Server, DNS Servers are same for both the computers.

Is that how its supposed to be?

Edited by kumarkumar

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway are all different for both the computers.

DHCP Server, DNS Servers are same for both the computers.

Is that how its supposed to be?

NO.

IP Address=different for each computer

Subnet Mask=must be the same on both computers

Default Gateway=irrelevant, but usually it's the same (your DSL or server)

DHCP Server=should be the same

DNS Servers=irrelevant, but usually they are the same

jaclaz

right click the NIC --> properties

click on TCP/IP --> properties

set all your stuff manually.

Your cable router is probably smart enough to not hand out a second address without inserting money, so if your switch is not managed you may want to consider a cheap router to do all the Private NAT automatically for you.

If they were both automatic and the cable router was playing ball, they would have received the same subnet and an IP within the scope (and your commands may have had an affect)

right click the NIC --> properties

click on TCP/IP --> properties

set all your stuff manually.

Your cable router is probably smart enough to not hand out a second address without inserting money, so if your switch is not managed you may want to consider a cheap router to do all the Private NAT automatically for you.

If they were both automatic and the cable router was playing ball, they would have received the same subnet and an IP within the scope (and your commands may have had an affect)

I tried that.

On "Computer#1", right click "My Network Places"-->Right Click "Local Area Connection"-->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)-->Properties-->Use the following IP address: = Kept the IP Address unchanged, Changed the Subnet Mask as in "Computer#2", Kept the Default Gateway unchanged.

Left the option "Obtain DNS server address automatically" checked.

Unfortunately after this there was no internet connection at all on "Computer#1"

I still vote for a router.

If you set one to automatic and plug into the switch which is plugged into the router does it acquire an address and connect?

If so, set the other computer up with the same subnet and incrementing the IP by 1. ( gateway and DNS are not going to matter because your cable router is only allowing your single public IP to get out). If your switch is managed and you like reading you can build a table to facilitate multiple systems getting out. Or i suppose the whole "allow another computer to connect through this computer", but that action blows something fierce.

Can you ping eachother with the assigned IPs without the router in play, maybe its the switch?

I have the Allied Telesis AT-FS705LE (10/100TX x 5 ports unmanaged Fast Ethernet switch w/external power supply unit)

http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/products/de...d=48&lid=11

This switch is connected to my Cable Modem. There is no router at all.

There is nothing/no options to configure (neither in the Switch nor in the Cable Modem). Everything is automatic Plug & Play kind.

I can ping one computer from the other using their IP Addresses.

As said, you need to actually read and understand the basioc troubleshooting steps in the given links:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/

First thing you need to have a valid TCP/IP settings, (each computer should be able to ping each other), then you need to see what protocols you enable and set them properly.

Start from a SIMPLE setup.

Check, if any, the router TCP/IP settings.

Disable it's DHCP.

Use a "narrow" SUBNET MASK, like 255.255.255.240 on ALL devices.

Use a "normal" intranet set of addresses, like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc.

Forget for teh moment about DNS and Gateways.

jaclaz

As said, you need to actually read and understand the basioc troubleshooting steps in the given links:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/

I read everything, but nothing in there states that could solve my problem.

First thing you need to have a valid TCP/IP settings, (each computer should be able to ping each other), then you need to see what protocols you enable and set them properly.

Start from a SIMPLE setup.

Check, if any, the router TCP/IP settings.

Disable it's DHCP.

Use a "narrow" SUBNET MASK, like 255.255.255.240 on ALL devices.

Use a "normal" intranet set of addresses, like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc.

Forget for teh moment about DNS and Gateways.

As I said earlier, the only two devices that I have are the unmanaged ethernet switch and the cable modem (given by the ISP). My connection is Cable Modem-->Unmanaged Ethernet Switch-->Computers(1 & 2)

And there is nothing to setup in these two devices. There are no options (unlike a web interface setup of a router). The cable modem has a web interface but it contains only information. There is nothing to setup. (I can provide screenshots if required)

The ethernet swtich doesn't even have any web interface (coz its unmanaged).

The only place to setup anything is the Windows XP Network Connections.

I tried manually setting up IP Address and Subnet Mask in TCP/IP settings in both the computers. This enabled network between the two computers. I was able to do file & printer sharing. BUT this setup disconnected my internet connection. I get internet connection only if I select "Obtain an IP address automatically"

Edited by kumarkumar