From vista to XP on Acer Aspire 5920 - anyone done it?

darkstranger1

I've been wanting to downgrade from Vista to XP on my Acer Aspire 5920, but can find very little information online on how to do it. It seems to be a laptop not many are downgrading on!

I'm a complete novice at computers, and I had a blast at using Nlite to create a bootable ISO, but it ended up being almost 3500 MB, a bit too much for my 700 MB CD-Rom.

Has anyone successfully downgraded on an Acer Aspire 5920? This seems to be the forum to go to for actual help and not ridiculing, so forgive any silly questions I may ask. Any assistance would be unbelievably cool!

Donal

Yep, I've done it, works perfectly fine. Look up on how to implement the SATA drivers, either that or head into the BIOS and change the mode from SATA to IDE, the only difference being your HD will be louder. Here are all the drivers you need:

http://notebook.driversdown.com/notebook-d...s/s_138_1.shtml

Although I must point out, do NOT EVER install webcam drivers. It will break it. XP includes them anyway.

Awesome guys, that's a fantastic help, I wasn't able to find a site such as that to get all the necessary drivers!

Do I need to download the lot, apart from the webcam drivers?

Then is it just a case of using nlite to make a bootable disc, change the BIOS and hope for the best?

Acer has drivers for download, I put XP on my Extensa 5620.

Same problem here with the XP webcam drivers. Laptop wouldn't shut down.

I just turn off the webcam in Hardware manager, and turn it on when I need it.

Use nLite to burn a CD with the SATA driver included.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php

The above is a very good forum for laptops.

I'm a complete novice at computers, and I had a blast at using Nlite to create a bootable ISO, but it ended up being almost 3500 MB, a bit too much for my 700 MB CD-Rom.

There seems to be something wrong here...Unless you're adding a lot of stuff, your XP installation source should fit onto a CD-ROM drive.

Since you claim to be a novice, let's go over some the key items you're gonna need:

A computer (you already have this)

An Windows XP CD w/ valid license key

The necessary hardware drivers for all your laptop components to run on XP (google can be your friend here, if the manufacturer website doesn't help)

Time and patience. Oh, and make sure you back up your hard drive before you start this!

If you're using NLite, you will still need an XP CD...you can't just "downgrade" Vista without the proper resources.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thank you so much for your detailed help, it was very much appreciated!

I now have Windows XP Home, with service pack 3 installed. It's recognising my 250 gig (well, 232 gig it says) memory, only on the C drive though, no D drive at all (apart from the CD drive apparently), but it's still recognising all my memory. The webcam works as you said it would automatically, which is cool, but the resolution seems to be quite substandard considering what it was, and the Contol Panel Display option only displays two resolution options, and the higer one looks cramped and tiny. Mieklol, could you by any chance post up the exact drivers you installed on your 5920?

I wasn't 100% sure which ones to go for from the link that was posted, as there were several choices, so I picked the following:

Bluetooth\bluetooth driver\ver5.0.1.1500\bluetooth\win32 (I've had several attempts at deciphering whether my Windows XP is 32-bit or 64-bit, how can I find this out?)

Cardreader\cardreader Richo Ver 3.51.01\cardreader_Richo_v3.51.01/XD (Again, didn't know what to choose, the ends of this text were \MS, \MSx64, \SDMMC, \SDMMCx64, \XD, and \xDx64)

Chipset\infinst_auto\all

LAN\LAN Driver Broadcom Ver.10.9.0\LAN_Broadcom_v10.9.0\IA32

Nvidia8600

Sata (integrate this to XP CD)\SATA Driver intel ver 7.0.0.1020\SATA_Intel_v7.0.0.1020

WLAN\V11.1.1.0_XP_DRIVERS

So is it just a case of, say, copying the rest of the needed drivers (or indeed starting over from scratch with the correct ones if needed!) to a memory stick and running them?

Thanks again for all your help guys!!