press any key boot message

the_arbiter

Hi all,

I'm running Win Xp home on a Core 2 duo 3GHz, 4GB RAM

nlite v 1.4.9.1

Virtual PC 2007 installed.

Ok onto the problem. Ive successfully slipstreamed SP3, IE7 & WMP11 into my XP home SP2 OEM. In the "options" section of Nlite you can enable disable the boot message to run setup. Whatever I choose the disc I create always runs setup automatically. This is from VPC 2007 and a hard reboot.

I'm really stuck on this.

You do not understand. Any such virtual machine software also comes with its own virtual bios settings. Which in many cases would have different bootup settings, naturally, from that of your own physical computer.

I installed the "slipstreamed SP3" on a new "virtual PC". Because there was no "virtual operating system" VPC 2007 automatically runs setup from the .iso

Once installed and Xp rebooted like it does the "press any key...." was there.

You do not understand. Any such virtual machine software also comes with its own virtual bios settings. Which in many cases would have different bootup settings, naturally, from that of your own physical computer.

That's a bit rude. The real explanation is likely to be that there is no partition on the disk (virtual or not).

In which case, the "Press any key" message is always skipped.

Ponch is right. The BOOTFIX.BIN that is responsible for displaying the "Press any key to boot from CD....." will skip this prompt IF there are no alternatives to booting from CD. For example: if there is no bootable hard disk partition.

Ponch is right. The BOOTFIX.BIN that is responsible for displaying the "Press any key to boot from CD....." will skip this prompt IF there are no alternatives to booting from CD. For example: if there is no bootable hard disk partition.

I can make a custom BOOTFIX.BIN that always displays the "Press any key to boot from CD....." prompt, but what would be the point of it ?