Invalid Boot Error?

caressatiger

I have Windows vista home premium on my computer. I did an update about a week ago and after my computer restarted it kept telling me a PXE error and Invalid Boot error insert boot disk. I took my HD out and put it in another computer and it works sometimes. But if I put another HD in my computer it wont work either. I can access my program files through the other computer. What files do/can I copy onto disk to put in my other computer to make it work? Does it have to be a cd or can it be a DVD disk? It told me to put in a boot disk but my computer came with vista and you dont get boot disks and my dumb self havent made the backup disks yet. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

I need to know the files to copy because its not in my computer its in another computer that has Windows XP so I can just make a dupe of that comps boot.

Or if I cant copy files, how can i access the Full Factory Restore on my HD when its in another computer? maybe that will make it work?

Edited by caressatiger

Its possible that your MBR is busted. Usually this message you are getting means that your computer can't find the hard drive. The PXE error is because you have network boot enabled but there is no DHCP-Relay server on your network.

By putting it in another computer, do you mean you tried booting off it, or use it as a data drive?

I took my hd out of my comp and slaved it on another comp.

I dont have a vista disk, my computer came with vista so no disk. Data loass isnt a problem I was able to get everything i needed off by slaving it on another computer.

Most OEM vista loads, if they do not give you a recovery or Vista disc, (such as HP) gives you an option through their software to make the recovery discs. This option, since most computers sell with optical writers, became the norm as it is cheaper for the company as a whole. Also this is why a lot of companies provide CD based or online-only manuals instead of printed ones.

Yes it did give me the option to make recovery disks but my dumb but never made them.

I put my HD back in my computer and after several restarts and finally getting into safe mode. I was able to scan the HD and it updated drivers and finally loaded my desktop in regular mode. I was able to get into my Full factory restore section of my computer and it restored. I was able to save all my important data and media. So i am hoping that fixed it. Im glad i didnt pay anyone to fix it, i figured I could do it myself. And Im glad I didnt have to buy a brand new HD and OS. Thanks yall for the help.