Vista x86 or X64?

MarkJohnson

I just gave my cousin's little Dell a makeover - lol. I found it would take a standard mATX and works with the Dell power supply. I upgraded it with a socket 754 Athon 64 3200+ with 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400@2-3-2-6-T1 on a Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 motherboard and added a MSI HD 4670 512MB video card.

I just installed a vlited Vista HP x86 and it seems fast enough for his needs, but I was wondering if the x64 version would run any better/faster? I could vlite it down the same I think, but don't know if x64 would have more overhead and slow it down, or be faster from taking advantage of the 64-bit processor?

Thanks for any advice

-=Mark=-

I just installed a vlited Vista HP x86 and it seems fast enough for his needs, but I was wondering if the x64 version would run any better/faster? I could vlite it down the same I think, but don't know if x64 would have more overhead and slow it down, or be faster from taking advantage of the 64-bit processor?

Thanks for any advice

-=Mark=-

Vista x64 would certainly be faster IF the applications being used on it are optimized for 64-bit. Performance aside, I don't think x64 is better than x86. It has it's advantages, for example, the exclusive use of digitally signed drivers may improve overall system stability.

Then there's the application compatibility factor... 32-bit apps will run on 64-bit, but will you gain any performance in doing so? I highly doubt it.

However, if I were setting up the system, I'd put on Vista x64 to take advantage of the 64-bit processor.

Edited by mongo66

If it supports it, then why not x64. It may not be faster but you can take advantage of being able to install more memory. You will get better performance with more memory, especially with multi-tasking and running virtual machines.

More and more apps are written in 64-bit now so it's definitely the future.

It is faster, but x64 uses more memory because of the 64-bit overhead so it may slow things down if you run out of RAM.

I would put in 4GB of memory and then install x64 otherwise I'd leave x86 on it.

Edited by brucevangeorge