Windows Search 4.0 (KB940157)

Hi,

I've searched Google & this whole site and this isn't mentionned anywhere, but this is the only "update" that I can't get to install through the t-13 minute phase of an unattended install.

I can do it fine after the OS is up and running using /Q /Z, so doing it through CMDLINES would not be an issue, just wondering why it won't install throught SVCPACK.INF.

Log file for 940157 is pretty much empty, with no success or failure message.

I know WS4.0 is absolutely horrendous... but upper management want it for it's better "integration" with Sharepoint Services, even if it means clients will go nuts over searching local files & such.

If it can't be done, then so be it, I just wanna make sure.

Thanks.

RunOnceEx is the way to go

If you use nLite here is a true addon which will integrate it http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4372

BTW here is my svcpack/RunOnceEx config.txt for my old Windows Search silent switch addon

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-xxx.exe /q /z"
AutoInstall="hidcon:reg add HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnceEx\\wdsearch /v dsksrch /d %%S\\dsksrch.exe /f"
GUIMode="2"
;!@InstallEnd@!

If you run the silent switch installer with the -ai command during svpack it will add the runonceex reg entry and install the search during first login, I added this trick to a vid I did on how to make silent switch installers you should check it out

Edited by ricktendo64