Making a boot disc

jack56

I'm a little confused. I've done the process a few times and can't get the computer to boot.

Maybe I'm making a mistake in this department.

Once I'm done with the nLite process, I go to my Nero 7 and make a data dvd. Does't work after several tries.

Then I found out my version doesn't have the Boot version.

Do I need the boot version? I thought nLite made the boot version with the ISO?

If I in fact do need the Boot version, where can I get a free one online?

While using nLite, do you choose the last option? I don't have nLite open right this second but I believe it's Bootable ISO. So you do whatever you want nLite to do (remove components, automated install, slipstream hotfixes, etc) and after it's done and says something about if the installation grew or shrunk, what happens? It should give you an option to create a bootable ISO that you can then either use nLite or a 3rd party burning app to burn to CD. Just ensure the BIOS on the computer has the 1st boot device as the CD as opposed to the hard drive.

Also, it's a good idea to look into virtualization software such as VirtualBox, VMWare, etc; this will save you a lot of coasters and frustration. Ask if you have questions.

I thought nLite made the boot version with the ISO?

It does you see. You select what boot sector nlite should insert into the iso. I use the mk type and it always works.

What you need to do, is to select to burn an image file with nero.

What you did try to do was to manually recreate the iso by adding files manually, by what u are writing.

That is perfectly doable, but since it is not necessary and it is the slower approach i will not go into details on that.

If you are in doubt and want more control over how the iso is made, download Cdimagegui. I use it all the time as well and you can select a custom boot sector with this program. I love it, and insert the original xp x64 bootsector which i captured with nero in fact, to the iso that one then creates with cdimagegui.

If you are in doubt and want more control over how the iso is made, download Cdimagegui. I use it all the time as well and you can select a custom boot sector with this program. I love it, and insert the original xp x64 bootsector which i captured with nero in fact, to the iso that one then creates with cdimagegui.

After all these years of using the commandline... A GUI front-end for cdimage? I guess I must have missed it somehow... :blink:

Thanks for the info.

That solved it. I had just used the regular burn. I've already loaded XP Pro with sp2, then sp3.

nLite is a great program!

Thanks for the help. :thumbup

That solved it. I had just used the regular burn. I've already loaded XP Pro with sp2, then sp3.

nLite is a great program!

Thanks for the help. :thumbup

Here is proof! :whistle:

post-214874-1226108150_thumb.jpg

bigger photo here so you can at least read it. :rolleyes:

http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/ToshibaXP.jpg

Edited by jack56

Now that I got XP Pro loaded and running with SP3, where do I find the drivers needed?

All the drivers for my Toshiba Sattlite A205 are for Vista. I need XP drivers.

Audio Device

Ethernet Controller

Modem device

Wlan adapter

Sm Bus Controller

Video Controller