ISO File Size vs. Final Install Size – Windows XP Pro

dmarcey

I’m trying to figure out if there is a rule of thumb in guessing the final install size of a Windows XP Pro install based off the size of the ISO file that nLite creates. For example, if my ISO files that nLite creates is 500MB, it is a good guess that the final install size will be 1GB. I’m trying to see if there is a ratio I can use to ballpark a good guess. Thanks for your time in advance.

Dan

First things that come to my mind as variable are

-more devices, more drivers (and some drivers can be very big)

-more RAM, bigger page file by default (talking hundreds of megabytes here.

-udates can be integrated or applied after install, that impacts on the size of the disc and also of the "final" install, but then in the opposite way.

I suppose you remove the unneeded MS folders on the disc.

Here's my pov of it. There is no single golden thumb rule for this. There would have at least be several variables to that.

Take into consideration that files are compressed with nlite. The ratio of which files are compressed varies, ergo making it even that tad more difficult to put an accurate expected size of the actual installed windows size, let alone the compressed files of the iso alone.

Ponch, atm i have 4gb memory installed here, i have additional 4+another 8gb set available, but keeping at 4gb for maximum speed. Therefore the default pagefile thinks it needs to be set at around 1.5GB or more i guess. Well i just disable and delete the pagefile and have done so for years. Its working great without it.

CS3 works just perfect without pagefile here. Maybe you are missing some registry setting. I play a lot of games too. I have run x64 xp for many years and pagefile disabled also, i have never had a problem with it.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Hmm I have seen on a couple of forums that the game "Oblivion" uses @900 megs of pagefile and it has to be there for the use.

Personally, Yes I see the benifits of NOT having a pagefile, BUT I see greater benifits putting a static (same min & max size) pagefile on a secondary drive. It doesn't have to be big but it is there just in case. I have 4 gigs ram and my page file is set to 1024-1024 on vista. Runs very fats to me and I am on a older dual-core... (E2140)