Windows update

Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum. I reinstall my pc, put back winXPPro sp2 and now I cannot dl any updates anymore... If I click on WindowsUpdate on the start menu if brigns me to MSN.com... If I go on microsoft site i can navigate but if I try to dl ANYTHING I get a blanck page...

I dl and installed your Windows Update Downloader, I get the list of updates but when I try any I get the message: the remote name could not be resolved: downlaod.microsoft.com, so i cannot dl any from Microsoft... Frustrating, I can't get IE 7 or SP3 or Win Media 11 or LiveMessenger 8 or whatever .............. Tried to force the Update but still the same, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE Help!

:blink:

Well. I check the DNS settings in the network properties and everything looks OK and normal, all are set to get automatic adresses. Maybe the malware is the answer but Norton and Spyware Doctor report CLEAN.... So I am puzzeled!!

Thank you and maybe someone will have another hint to give me.

LBrun44

:rolleyes:

Norton not finding anything hardly means anything... In fact, I'd rather have viruses on my box than that.

Anyways. If you can't resolve your DNS problems (try nslookup download.microsoft.com in a cmd shell), then you're never gonna get updates. Also, I'd have a peek at the hosts file still. You could also try resetting your tcp/ip stack as described here.

Edited by crahak

1-Ok I tried that and that is what I get, it's funny because it is ONLY on Microsoft that I cannot do any Dls. The rest of the web is fine and fast, i am kind of locked up to any Microsoft site ????

C:\Documents and Settings\Laurent>nslookup download.microsoft.com

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain

*** Default servers are not available

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.0.1

*** No address (A) records available for download.microsoft.com

C:\Documents and Settings\Laurent>

BUT I need to have updates !!!!!!

2-For the reset of TCP/IP a little to complex for me... don't want to fxxx up my PC more than what it is now.

3-For the host file that is what I have

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Thank you again and if anymore hints, let me know

Laurent

So now we do know for sure you're having DNS problems, and that your hosts file is good.

Personally at this point I'd try resetting the TCP/IP stack. It shouldn't screw up anything. Just go start > run, and paste this in the box:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

A lot of malware likes to install itself into the TCP/IP stack (and prevent things like updating your box, so can't get rid of it), and this would put things back to their default settings.

You could also post a hijackthis log, and we'll have a look.

There's just no reason for just that one site not to resolve, I just can't see it being anything else than malware at this point (it's not like your ISP's DNS servers wouldn't resolve MS update...)

Hi Crahak, you're too kind to help me

OK before I saw your answer I tried to fix with Dial-A-Fix.exe, witch is a very nice program but did not work.

I also tried your code line in RUN for resetting the TCP/IP but no good. Same thing I can go on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.aspx then go on a file like IE 7 then when I click on download button it says '' can't open the page... bla bla bla, try refresh, bla bla bla, option, settings, automatic detect setting etc etc..... But always the same result: Cannot dls a dammed thing from Microsoft. :realmad:

Makes no blody sence, I installed Windows defender today it works but it cannot dl the updates, error code 0x80004002, then i search for that and I could go on microsoft to dl and install manualy but still the dls do'nt work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next step I guess I will reformat for the third time in a month................

Question :What did you mean by: ''You could also post a hijackthis log, and we'll have a look''.

Thank's for all your help going to bed it's late

Laurent

If only Microsoft sites are affected, then either your ISP's DNS servers (which they provide to you when giving you an IP address) are busted, or you've got something on your machine actively affecting DNS queries for microsoft addresses. Since an app doing this would most definitely be a virus or some other malware, a hijackthis log might bring to light any possible malware causes - you'd need a good virus scanner to rule out viruses.

HI

I dl hijackthis and ran it.... over 100 files, i've been through all of them but it's hard to tell, it looks OK unless one of these flies was replaced !!! I did not find anything obvious. On the other hand i'm not bad with PCs but not an expert so the answer might have been in front of me and don't know enough about it. Many files, when you ask for details could be a virus or a worm!!! But i did not take the chance of removing a single one...

Anyway, I'll reformat in the next few days and see the difference... will see. Still I'd like to know what the hell happened, I'm puzzled and I hate that..

Thank's a lot for your time it was very much appreciated

By the way, we got a little snow this morning over Montréal!!! Just put my snow tires last friday... good timing, Hehe!!

:hello:

Laurent

Hi Alex, yes i did activate Windows.

For Tarum, i did all the malware tool kit did not find much, just a few small issues and they are fixed and............ same thing, I still cannot dl anything from Microsoft. I guess it's a joke now. Not too funny but that's life. First time I get a bug like that on my PC.

Anyway I'll reformat and should be end of story, spent enough time, too much indeed!!

Lbrun44

:whistle: