Unofficial NT 4.0 patch for MS08-067

Bleeder

If an organization wanted this to be patched for NT4, they would have to have a Custom Support Agreement (CSA) for NT4 with Microsoft, on top of having an Extended Hotfix Support Agreement (EHSA) with Microsoft for this platform as well. The only platforms that will receive a patch for a security issue are those in Mainstream or Extended support. NT4 exited Extended support on January 1, 2005 - therefore, ANY hotfixes (security OR bugfix) would need to be requested, and can only be requested by customers with the above 2 contracts added to their existing Premier support agreement with Microsoft.

Considering Windows 2000 is vulnerable, it is highly likely NT4 is as well. If a customer wanted a patch to fix this (or any other security vulnerability found since January 2005), it would have to be requested by a customer covered under all 3 agreements (Premier Support contract, CSA, and EHSA). So unless some customer has already asked for this (and actually gotten approval to have it built, and paid for it), then it would not exist.

If an organization wanted this to be patched for NT4, they would have to have a Custom Support Agreement (CSA) for NT4 with Microsoft, on top of having an Extended Hotfix Support Agreement (EHSA) with Microsoft for this platform as well. The only platforms that will receive a patch for a security issue are those in Mainstream or Extended support. NT4 exited Extended support on January 1, 2005 - therefore, ANY hotfixes (security OR bugfix) would need to be requested, and can only be requested by customers with the above 2 contracts added to their existing Premier support agreement with Microsoft.

Considering Windows 2000 is vulnerable, it is highly likely NT4 is as well. If a customer wanted a patch to fix this (or any other security vulnerability found since January 2005), it would have to be requested by a customer covered under all 3 agreements (Premier Support contract, CSA, and EHSA). So unless some customer has already asked for this (and actually gotten approval to have it built, and paid for it), then it would not exist.

All very good information, but the poster asked about an unofficial patch.

Read closely.

So unless some customer has already asked for this (and actually gotten approval to have it built, and paid for it), then it would not exist.

So, I did a quick search on the Patch Management Mailing List, and sure enough, there's a blurb about NT4 being vulnerable, and that a fix can be built for any customer who has a current Premier contract, and CSA and EHSA for NT4. I find no binaries (official or otherwise) listed anywhere on the searchable net.

Read closely.

So unless some customer has already asked for this (and actually gotten approval to have it built, and paid for it), then it would not exist.

So, I did a quick search on the Patch Management Mailing List, and sure enough, there's a blurb about NT4 being vulnerable, and that a fix can be built for any customer who has a current Premier contract, and CSA and EHSA for NT4. I find no binaries (official or otherwise) listed anywhere on the searchable net.

We have then, it seems, a different understanding of what "unofficial" means in this context. As far as I'm concerned, the channels you outline above for obtaining patches are not the only means of obtaining patches for systems no longer supported by Microsoft. The reason I say this is that, of course, Microsoft is not the sole source of patches for otherwise unsupported systems.

Take the 9x community here for example. Members there regularly produce patches for 9x systems that are unofficial, insofar as they are derived from official MS patches not intended for 9x - from, say, an MS patch for Windows 2000. I think that it's with this kind of unofficial patch in mind that the poster asked the question (correct me if I'm wrong, Bleeder!).

Anyway, more to the point: could anyone create an unofficial patch for NT4 based on, say, the MS Windows 2000 patch?

Edited by bristols

I suppose that asking for an unofficial patch when it's still possible to pay a bazillion dollars for special support for an 'official' patch is probably not in Microsoft's best interest <_< Maybe when that special support period ends, I'll come back and ask again.