Building a video editing pc

rahul_puri20

hello guys, I'm building a new PC for gaming and video capturing/editing use and just want to verify that I have chosen good quality parts etc. This PC will mainly be used for internet, word, music, movies, DVD burning, Macromedia Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and of course gaming.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 or Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz

Motherboard: MSI K9A2GM-FD(AMD) or Asus P5KPL-CM (for intel)

RAM: Kingston 2x 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit or Transcend 2x 2GB DDR2

TV tuner : not decided suggest me

GPU: not decided suggest me

PSU: not decided suggest me

CHASSIS: not decided suggest me

if you have better option tell me please.what'll be the final price of pc. I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse,speaker or operating system.

Seems you are on a tight budget there.

There are better options than you picket out; the MSI board is not what you call "the best pick" and the ASUS is way too outdated but sure cheap. Both have onboard video and there is nothing wrong with that but when it comes to Pinnacles capture cards you will have problems with "shared memory", so, you would be better off buying a PCI-E video card.

So, let us redo the setup again, based on a dual core setup.

For an Intel based system look at the E5200, basically the same as the E7200 but with less cash and some other features most people will not even use. You can save some 30USD on that. With that extra cash you can get a P45 based motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3, note it has even Firewire 400 onboard.

For AMD, MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 (up to 125W TDP CPU, not 140W like the more expensive boards), combine it with the AMD Brisbane X2 cored CPU (X2 5400+ for example) and you have a sweet combo.

The PCI-E video card, ATI, anything that is passive cooled (less noise) and has dual DVI, an good example would be the ASUS EAH3650 SILENT MAGIC/HTDP/512M. Sure you need a good vented case for that.

That´s the first part, let´s see what others have to say and fill in on the HDD, Case and PSU.

For video editing and encoding more cores is better. Stick with the Phenom.

GPU I suggest the HD4670. Uses no extra power connectors and its pretty decent at gaming. Its a mainstream/budget GPU. Another is the HD4830. More powerful, and uses extra connectors. Its got the best performance/price ratio of the higher end GPUs.

Chassis is whatever you want. Ventilated? Quiet? Flashy?

I would suggest the Antec 300 and get an 80plus PSU. Its a great Chassis.

Another is the Antec Sonata III. It comes with an 80plus 550W Earthwatts PSU. Its a quiet case, and its built very solid. Its what I'm using since its a great deal with the PSU. Get some Nexus or Noctua fans if you want it to be quiet. Noctua are the best, Nexus is a close second but alot cheaper.

I'm running the Sonata III with the Noctua fans. Very pleased.

If you want to reduce nose further look into heatsinks for your CPU and GPU.

You need to tell us:

How much are you planning to spend? How reliable do you want the PC? What resolution and FPS do you want to game at? Do you want maximum settings in a game at the cost of power & heat & noise, or can you do with less? Will you overclock, and if so how much? Limit, moderate, little bit..

Edited by brucevangeorge

my budget is maximum 800$ I can spend 50-100$ more but I want to stick below 800$. my main purpose of buying this new pc is for video editing/converting. I'm not game freak I play Need for speed kinda game. which right now works on my other pc very quietly.and the question aboout overclocking , I never did overclocking nor I'm thinking about this.

For video editing and encoding more cores is better.

When it comes to encoding, a fast quad core is great to have for sure (4 slow cores isn't always much better than 2 fast ones though), especially if you plan on encoding high-def content in H.264...

and which tv tuner card you suggest ?

It's been years since I've done analog capture (eww), but most people recommend Hauppauge cards for this. Better solutions cost more (and would blow away your budget real fast).

my budget is maximum 800$ I can spend 50-100$ more but I want to stick below 800$.

Then forget about i7! A fast i7 CPU by itself could easily cost $800 when it'll be out (cutting edge stuff is very expensive. And forget about the faster quad cores (i.e. not the "low-end" phenoms) pretty much... It's hard to get a cutting edge/high performance box on a budget unfortunately.

You can get a quality box of average performance out of that budget, and that's pretty much it (especially if you also want to do things like gaming i.e. have to devote a sizable part of that budget towards a fast vid card). Even the "old" Q6600 beats the Phenom X4 9550 hands down in premiere benches (~25% faster). The Phenom is cheap for a reason... That CPU scores no faster than some mid-range dual cores on many benches e.g. winzip -- a cheap E7200 is 35% faster. It's also 25% faster than that Phenom at XviD encoding. Not bad considering it's cheaper, less power hungry, and manages to perform a lot better on half the cores...

I thgink you are overlooking 2 big factors.

1. RAID its fine to have a fast board, CPU, Chipset etc. but when I was doing NLE getting the drives to write fast enough without any faults was a big problem. I used an ASUS board with 2 RAID chanels for a total of 4 drives running stripe 0 as well as 2 primary drives for everythinbg else. A total of 6 drives.

2. With all of that hardware running cooling is a major problem so go with the biggest box you can find and fit it with lots of fans. Yes it will be noisy. be sure to include internal fans so that you don't get "hot spots". I recomend a cooling control head with multiple sensors that you can attach to key positions.

I thgink you are overlooking 2 big factors.

1. RAID its fine to have a fast board, CPU, Chipset etc. but when I was doing NLE getting the drives to write fast enough without any faults was a big problem. I used an ASUS board with 2 RAID chanels for a total of 4 drives running stripe 0 as well as 2 primary drives for everythinbg else. A total of 6 drives.

2. With all of that hardware running cooling is a major problem so go with the biggest box you can find and fit it with lots of fans. Yes it will be noisy. be sure to include internal fans so that you don't get "hot spots". I recomend a cooling control head with multiple sensors that you can attach to key positions.

what you say about coolermaster 690 case with 600 watt supply

a fast quad core is great to have for sure (4 slow cores isn't always much better than 2 fast ones though), especially if you plan on encoding high-def content in H.264...

Moot point. He's not OCing.

How does that make it moot? Overclocking or not, 4 slow cores (with pretty bad single threaded perf) isn't really better than 2 fast cores. Again, the E7200 at ~$140 beats a ~$200 phenom X4 on many benches. No overclocking involved anywhere. The phenom will be slower at most tasks. Except the handful that can actually make use of all 4 cores, in which case it's still quite unimpressive. Like I said, the E7200 is 25% faster than that slow Phenom at XviD encoding, and that's without overclocking or anything (if you OC that E7200, it'll leave the phenom in the dust on 99% of tasks).

Like I said, the E7200 is 25% faster than that slow Phenom at XviD encoding, and that's without overclocking or anything (if you OC that E7200, it'll leave the phenom in the dust on 99% of tasks).

Apples to oranges. XviD can only use 2 cores. Its supposed to use 4, but it doesn't make a difference. Use the same comparison with DivX or x264.

Here's the XviD issue: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic342532.html